Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 12:47:00 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S25 Watkins Glen: December 29, 2013
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 25 (2013) - Watkins Glen - Dec 29  (Read 3202 times)
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:57:03 PM +0000 »

As I know some of you have an addiction to GPL here’s something to keep you going during these long dark nights. An endurance race with the original 67’s at Watkins Glen – fill you tanks for a whopping 68 laps / 75 minutes of racing. The actual race will start at 9.15 with a minimum of 15 minutes qualifying – or slightly longer if Cookie starts the server early.

Free choice of chassis – except Works standard drivers are requested not to take the Lotus or the Eagle.

The race will run with Intermediate Damage & a maximum of one reset is allowed which must be followed by a compulsory Stop & Go in the pit lane within two laps of the Reset.
It’s a fun race – no moderation, but usual racing etiquette should be followed.

Race List = IGOR
Server = UKGPL8  
Race date = Sunday 29-12-2013
Time = 21:00 UK time (21:00 GMT)
Track = Watkins Glen
Race length = 68 laps
Variant = 1967
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qualifying time = minimum of 15 minutes
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:01:13 PM +0000 by Billy Nobrakes » Logged

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Walter Conn
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:09:18 PM +0000 »

I look forward to participating in this race preseason test.  Wink

Sunday Driver
AnGex

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:58:42 AM +0000 »

Sorry, have to miss this one.  Sad But wish you all Good Luck and fun!  Smiley

Get up, stand up: stand up for your right!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:54:52 AM +0000 »

Just to clarify - every driver has one reset available. If you want to use that as a fuel stop it is your choice BUT please be careful that your reset does not interfere with anyone else. Probably best to avoid the pit-lane as you will have to take a full stop & go.
Hope that's clear.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Robert Fleurke
Former UKGPL Moderators

GPL Forever!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:54:33 PM +0000 »

Too bad...already did sign up for a GPLRacer F2 funrace @ Snowitude...otherwise I'd be there...

Driving for Antipasti Racing

GregT

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 03:37:31 PM +0000 »

I'd like to join this race if there are enough spaces available.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 09:23:44 PM +0000 »

Had TERRIBLE cough over Xmas. Felt like I could give this a go and came to join late... too late!

Thought it started at 9:30 - READ THE POST!

Lol.

Hope you all had fun. Registration open for Season 26 by Jan 1st.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 10:50:56 PM +0000 »

Shame, I discoed just after the last practice lap and had no time to rejoin,,,  :'(

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:24:25 PM +0000 »

And this race was a prime example of why shift-r's are a part of the game. Loud bits of the Honda decided they wanted to be free, while still on the grid, at about 6.5k rpm, tho I hadn't revved the engine past 9250 (redline is 11.5k).  Lips Sealed

Go ahead, try to convince me that that (my race ending right there) was a fair result, and completely indicative of my pace and skill.  Tongue

Had some fun gaining spots back. Up to 5th with 15 to go, one lap down, about what I expected, but then "73 laps" worth of fuel ran out after less than 60 wtf?!.  Angry
Tom van Ostade

"anything can happen, and it usually does"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 11:44:14 PM +0000 »

Bit of a last minute decision to jump in after the GPLRACER F2 event, but even though I had lots of offs I had a good pace and 3rd isn't too bad Smiley . Not my favorite track, but any practice will do after 2 years off Smiley . Hope to join you all again the coming season.

GregT

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 12:01:21 AM +0000 »

Shame, I discoed just after the last practice lap and had no time to rejoin,,,  :'(

That is a shame. It made the start a lot easier for me and probably the race too if you can say 68 laps has any relation to easy.

That race really tested my concentration. I had a few lapses and a couple spins but other than that I drove a pretty good race.

I thought that was a strange choice of cars Dean. I doubt I could finish in a Honda.

It looks like the new video drivers fixed my monitor problems. I'm sure glad about that!

Congratulations Colin! You drove an excellent race! He made few if any mistakes.

Thanks everybody.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 12:35:34 AM +0000 »

And this race was a prime example of why shift-r's are a part of the game. Loud bits of the Honda decided they wanted to be free, while still on the grid, at about 6.5k rpm, tho I hadn't revved the engine past 9250 (redline is 11.5k).  Lips Sealed

Go ahead, try to convince me that that (my race ending right there) was a fair result, and completely indicative of my pace and skill.  Tongue

Had some fun gaining spots back. Up to 5th with 15 to go, one lap down, about what I expected, but then "73 laps" worth of fuel ran out after less than 60 wtf?!.  Angry

You clearly just don't have the necessary WAZA sympathy. SHE would not be pleased. Never happened to me that my engine lets go on the start line at the Glen when I have qualified on the front row  Roll Eyes

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 01:01:25 AM +0000 »

See my first race at Adelaide with HER oversight. Ran out of fuel with 3 laps to go. Now when taking that THING for a lengthy run around a track I always put way more than the guide in, as the Honda's a thirsty engine.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 09:56:17 AM +0000 »

Grats to Colin and the podium, and all those who finished. long races like this are a different ball game and require a different approach I have always found.

My game plan started well, in fact better than I had anticipated as i was not concerned with getting a good grid position, figuring that places would be gained if I could lap reliably in the high 1:06's with full fuel.
With Axel's unfortunate disco I was quite near the sharp end as the race started and settled down to steady lapping in about 5th place, in a comfortable space with no-one directly in front and no-one chewing on my gearbox, so that I was able to concentrate on controlling a heavy Honda  and preserve the tyres.
Well, that worked for about 4-5 laps!! Then gremlins intervened and my graphics were freezing momentarily and then recovering, which is not good approaching The Loop and the inevitable happened, although I almost "saved" it before dropping a wheel over the edge and smacking the fence.
I regained the circuit but something got bent in the steering dept and I was just considering a Reset when GPL crashed to desktop??  Undecided   what was meant to be an endurance event hardly registered as a trip to the shop!!

For those who found the Wonderful Waza ( Honda) a little thirsty...yes it is VERY thirsty!!!  As a general rule I add an extra 20% of fuel over the indicated race length more when the track has long sections at max revs and maybe a little less at somewhere like Monaco. This makes the white whale live up to its name in the early laps as the extra weight compromises performance and stresses the rear tyres. Also the engine will indeed rev to 11.5k, but I try and max out at 11k otherwise I find the oil temp rises to dangerous levels and if you reach 260F then your engine is going to display all of its component parts to the watching crowds.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Walter Conn
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 12:54:21 PM +0000 »

I started the race cautious enough, and I can be proud of my opening few laps.  Grin On the eighth lap, I lost my concentration and went wide at the Big Bend corner. I spun several times, and I stopped facing the wrong direction. I might have re-entered the track in a dangerous way, as I was a bit wobbly afterwards. I apologize if I messed up anyone else's race at any point. Then I started pushing too hard which caused more off track excursions. I was a lap down from the leaders in record setting style. I did try to give the leaders room as they passed. I started to regain my composure with 20 laps to go I think, and I had a nice drive to the finish. Thank you to my fellow competitors for allowing me to race. I had a great time, and I have even more respect for this game. 

Sunday Driver
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com