Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 26, 2024, 08:09:56 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: Should we adopt the 60fps patch for all UKGPL races in Season 28?  (Voting closed: January 02, 2015, 10:55:28 PM +0000)
Yes - 13 (56.5%)
No - 10 (43.5%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 60 fps  (Read 8190 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:55:29 PM +0000 »

Most people should have the hardware and internet connection to support the 60fps patch.  Should we adopt it for all UKGPL races in Season 28?
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:42:22 AM +0000 »

I promise, no driver will be left alone if he has problems getting stable framerates at 60fps!

There is a lot of know how in the forum how to optimize the setup of your PC and GPU.

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Tom van Ostade

"anything can happen, and it usually does"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:27:20 PM +0000 »

I voted 'yes', although I really meant to vote 'indifferent' Grin . Honestly it doesn't matter to me that much.

Only trouble with 60 fps is that I get tearing of the screen. I tried disabling v-sync, but that makes GPL crash to desktop. Not a show stopper though, I'll gladly race 60 fps with you guys if you decide to race that way.

GregT

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 07:29:31 PM +0000 »

I promise, no driver will be left alone if he has problems getting stable framerates at 60fps!

There is a lot of know how in the forum how to optimize the setup of your PC and GPU.

Yes, Axel told me how to get Monaco running smoothly recently. It's a shame I didn't get the chance to see if a large field or heavy traffic cause me any loss of fps. After our chat, I checked my voltages and they're all set as low as possible. My BIOS doesn't provide the ability to undervolt anything. I also tested 60fps to check various component temperatures. I'm not having any problems with heat.

Only trouble with 60 fps is that I get tearing of the screen.

I've gotten that too. I can't remember how I got rid of it. I think you may need triple buffering in combination with v-sync. I know that fixed one of my problems but triple buffering will drop me to 30fps (1/2 the TV's refresh rate) if I'm not getting close to a smooth 60fps.

I'm indifferent too. Although 36 fps is easier for me at this time. I'm not voting on this poll either. If I vote no, it's like I'm voting to not see Axel on track anymore. Sad If I vote yes I'm voting to make things more complicated for myself.

Why do I like 36 fps? My machine runs GPL reliably almost all the time although there are few instances I may lose a few fps. The computer runs cooler at 36 fps. I can use higher graphic settings. I'm accustomed to it. Most races I participate in are 36 fps.

Why do I like 60 fps? It seems to be the way we should all go. Axel says it's easier on his eyes. I'll still see Axel on track in the future? I'm guessing it will eventually make GPL more enjoyable for me.

Why don't I like 60 fps? I need to upgrade my machine to run it well. It's harder on the computer. I have to adjust several graphics settings switching between the two frequencies. I forget to set trackside objects to "all" switching back to 36 fps and then I hit invisible trees. lol My machine won't really run Targa or Monza10k at 60fps. Dean seemed to be having trouble with Axel's server which makes me wonder if 60fps is less reliable and stable online than 36fps? If it's more prone to discos, that I have no knowledge it is, I wouldn't want to switch to 60fps.

I'll try to get a better video card soon and within another year upgrade my cpu,ram, and mb. That should get me in decent shape for 60 fps.

If the percentage of drivers who don't want to or can't use 60 fps is small, it might be as good a time to change as any. If my machine can't run a track smoothly then I'll just have to skip the race. If you switch to 60 fps, it isn't going to make me want to quit racing with you. If I'm the only driver that has any problems with the change, don't hold back on my behalf.

It seems like it's time to at least start transitioning with the Fridays series since it's a fun series? The only downside to that suggestion for me is, the mods in the Friday series are the most demanding on my computer. 60fps could be problematic and it would be a shame to switch the whole league if it is. The F2 series or whatever may alternate with the Works season might be another good series to switch. Test one or two series for at least a season before the entire league is changed? I'd also suggest that the first season at 60fps that the tracks used be taken into consideration. The most computer demanding tracks could be limited until things appear to be running smoothly.

I've had some good races with the Groundhog League so it's possible for me to run many races even with my dated equipment.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 07:58:23 PM +0000 »

Gents,
We are going to a run a Pre-Season mini-series in January using 60 fps - announcement to follow shortly.

This will be a good opportunity for everyone to try out the higher resolution before championship racing starts again.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 01:45:38 PM +0000 »

Is there anybody left, not being able to race at least 65s and 67s cars with 60fps?

Axel "Cookie"

Iestyn Davies

Variety comes in packs of 7 GPL cars! Drive 5/day!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:48:56 PM +0000 »

It would be nice to hear from the drivers that haven't driven since the end of S27 (in any of the S28 pre-season 60 fps races). Using the 'top 25 participants' stats Cool:

Michael Turner, Johnny.P, NHance, Uli, JonnyO, Kai J.Daum65, cg7aa, Pierre D, Boggy, Clutch4, ivandjj, blito, s2173.

I think it's noticeable that many are privs/ams, so the health of that division depends on their consultation.

In Works/Pro, it looks like most can drive 60fps. On my part, I know that fellow oAo-ers George, Sky and JonnyO may struggle to run 60fps (hardware limitations?).

Plus, we can only help those that come forward!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:52:29 PM +0000 by Iestyn Davies » Logged

GPLrank = -75
Monster = -400

See ya online Smiley
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 07:18:51 PM +0000 »

I can just about cope with 60fps on my rig, although in traffic the frame rate often drops to 30-40fps ( sometimes lower). But I figure that as I occasionally dropped frame rates into the 20's when running 36fps I am getting a better frame rate anyway.

The plan is to either buy a new PC, or to use the current graphics card, sound card and the bigger PSU that I installed only a few months back and maybe buy a new m/board and processor with some fast RAM.

I might be looking for some guidance on "best options" if I go down the new m/board route...............stand by for problems. Roll Eyes

or

maybe I just buy a whole new box and simply "plug and play"...lol like it ever works that easily!!!!

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:06:12 PM +0000 »

I know Uli and JohnnyP race in 60fps series allready.
Afair Jason had allready posted good results in 60fps some time ago.

Clive, with a new (used!) mobo + 4GB Ram you will be on a good way to upgrade your PC to a fine 60fps machine Wink

Axel "Cookie"

Iestyn Davies

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 02:00:09 AM +0000 »

Norm and Jonny raced tonight too so, that leaves 8 (and anyone else I've missed out from not being on the 65/67 top 25 lists) Smiley

Clive -- it's definitely mutually beneficial. I'm learning a lot about PC upgrading as the advice flows to those that need it/are in the process of doing so! If you have bought good parts recently, then upgrading the rest sounds cheaper and more cost-effective. I'm sure Cookie will know what to do Grin!

GPLrank = -75
Monster = -400

See ya online Smiley
Michael Turner

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 10:55:37 AM +0000 »

I've just tested it on a variety of tracks and it works without problems at a solid 60 FPS on my newly updated rig -MSI X99S SLI/ i7 5820/GTX780/16GB DDR4 ( a tad OTT for GPL perhaps)

I was a bit sceptical having tried it a few years ago and wasn't impressed  but it does now seem smoother at 60FPS and the colours are more vibrant
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:05:10 AM +0000 by Michael Turner » Logged
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 11:31:34 AM +0000 »

Thanks Michael for the feedback  clap

@ Clive

I found this interesting thread about upgrading your system Wink

Maybe better to go Bernie's way...

Axel "Cookie"

Iestyn Davies

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 02:31:16 PM +0000 »

Nice to hear Michael!  Cool

That socket 775 upgrade is also relevant to me..  Smiley

GPLrank = -75
Monster = -400

See ya online Smiley
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 11:00:16 PM +0000 »

I've setup the 60fps mod V2 but I am dropping frames, sometimes dropping to 50fps.

I've turned down all mirror setings apart from car textues which has helped but I am still dropping frames.

My spec is:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20Ghz
3GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD4670

It is running GPL at 1024x768 with the V2 rasterisers.

What else can I do?

Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 11:36:05 PM +0000 »

I've setup the 60fps mod V2 but I am dropping frames, sometimes dropping to 50fps.

I've turned down all mirror setings apart from car textues which has helped but I am still dropping frames.

My spec is:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20Ghz
3GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD4670

It is running GPL at 1024x768 with the V2 rasterisers.

What else can I do?

Do you use OpenGLV2 rasterizer?
Wich Catalyst version for the ATI Radeon HD4670 ?

Have you checked "disable intel speedstep" in GEM?

Axel "Cookie"

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com