Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 08:01:12 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S28 Willow Springs: March 01, 2015
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 28 (2015) - Willow Springs - Mar 1  (Read 5852 times)
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 10:30:46 PM +0000 »

Sry to those i contacted with lap 1.  Embarrassed

Had some fun trying to catch back up, but last turn caught me napping twice, berm flipping me both times.

Grats to finishers.
GregT

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 11:40:21 PM +0000 »

Congrats Clive! Nice recovery Axel to finish on the podium!

Very exciting and tense race at times. I dodged several bullets. Narrowly missed DaveC at least 2 or 3 times. I'm glad I didn't hit you Dave. It wasn't easy breaking the slipstream. I had to push as hard as possible to try to keep Dean from closing on me. It wasn't working until he made a mistake. That was a lot of work to run down Axel and Andreas. Then I had to give it everything I had again, to break the slipstream to Andreas. That's the best drive I've had in while. I only made one significant mistake. I spun on lap 4.

Thanks guys.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 02:42:29 PM +0000 »

Yeah, was lucky that Andreas seemed to have problems in the last laps...

Made a stupid setup change in last second before the race what made my rear end very nervous, so I lost it  Roll Eyes

Great battle with Ray with unlucky ending...
Ray, what FOV do you use?

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 03:21:00 PM +0000 »

Sorry guys, maybe I should have taken the BT7 or Fezza, but i arrived late and just grabbed the BT11 and an unchanged setup from Brands Hatch. By the time I had got the IP, discovered that I did not have the pword, quit and looked up pword, re joined and tried to remember this track, it was getting close to grid time.

Only one real flying lap got me 3rd place with race fuel, which should have alerted me to having a car that was too fast  Undecided. Followed Dean and Axel for a couple of laps until Dean ran wide and I cruised up behind Axel who seemed to be struggling with his rear end as the tyres got warm. When Axel performed a half spin I was through and just settled into a regular lap time waiting for Axel or Dean to hunt me down as they obviously had the pace as they showed in quali.

But cars appeared to be running off track and losing whatever gains they had made leaving me to potter home. I only put the wellie to the metal on the last lap and clocked my FL, but it was far from clean or perfect.

I think maybe people were just pushing too hard and that extra 5% was making them run wide onto the sand, thus losing at least 10 secs as they recovered?

Itw as a long time ago when we ran the "Masters" series that I last raced here...it is still a great race track.  Wink

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 04:03:32 PM +0000 »

In the BT7 I always reserve the right to own any line into and through any corner since I am forced to concede all straights to any other type of car. As such once I have decided my line (which I stick to lap after lap) I rarely if ever check who is around me. Okay I'm a bit more careful than that but you get the drift. As for FOV I use the default at 78°. As you said good battle and sorry for any contact. I was glad to see you stay on track and make it onto the podium. Grats again to yourself, Clive and Greg.
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 04:53:24 PM +0000 »

As for FOV I use the default at 78°.

Do you use a 4:3 Monitor? than its ok...

But if you use a 16:9 you will misinterpret distances!
That is what I was thinking...

Axel "Cookie"

Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 05:35:44 PM +0000 »

Yeah I have dabbled with monitor settings to see what suits me best and do use a 4:3 monitor. In short I saw you, knew you wanted thru, but felt obliged to stick to my usual line through the corner expecting you to nail me on the straight. Me personally, in a fast car I would not try and overtake a slow car in a corner with a long straight coming up. But each to their own as I have no wish to tell others how to drive and have no complaints if I come worst off when its my fault or not for that matter.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:42:59 PM +0000 by Ronniepeterson » Logged
dave curtis
UKGPL Server Provider
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 11:06:00 PM +0000 »

Wasn't expecting to take part;  but was just able to download the track/download a setup from current favoured author & [as it was a FUN even]  went straight for the qually session.

Spent a lap looking over Ronnie's shoulder;  then ventured out.
Was fairly pleased to have got a 1:29 after a lap or two;   track did start to flow once I realised that after every green building on the left;  there was a right turn that probably needed some attention.

I probably didn't help Greg;  apologies.  There were a couple of times where I was ahead;  you were coming up & I eased off slightly (I thought) to aid your pass.  Maybe that did not go too well with the tow I was giving you at the time.

Somehow I managed to start spluttering with about 5-6 laps to go; despite apparently having put enough in the tank at the start.    Could have done without the reset/S&G; but didn't make any difference to the result.
Maybe 60FPS is not very economical from a fuel perspective?  Smiley

I know a few years back on a previous install;  I seemed to have to overfill by 10-15%;   but that behaviour seemed to be resolved after a re-install.
There again;  thinking about it - 60FPS was being used around that time too...

Anyway; was good to be on another test since machine rebuild.

EDIT: oh yes - there were a few times when I saw the latency bar appear & grow quite tall.  Wasn't really aware of seeing anyone else jumping around  (or indeed;  not really aware of seeing anyone!).
But was not until after the event;  that I realised my DSL speed was lower than expected.   Which was then traced back to a 'phone being unexpectedly reconnected upstairs without a microfilter...

Cheers,
Dave.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:17:04 PM +0000 by dave curtis » Logged
GregT

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 02:06:01 AM +0000 »

As for FOV I use the default at 78°.

Do you use a 4:3 Monitor? than its ok...

But if you use a 16:9 you will misinterpret distances!
That is what I was thinking...

I'm using 78° on a 32" HDTV. Should I trying setting the FOV at 94°?

I played around with the FOV a year or two after my start with GPL. I never felt I could make any improvements so I went back to default to which I'm accustomed. After some time to adjust I wonder if it would be an improvement for me. Initially, it's likely to cause me difficulty such as my experience before.

I probably didn't help Greg;  apologies.  There were a couple of times where I was ahead;  you were coming up & I eased off slightly (I thought) to aid your pass. 

No need to apologize. The one time I noticed you lifted to allow me to pass was scary. I wasn't expecting it. We got lucky I didn't hit you. I was going to tail you closely through the final turn and pass you before T1. I don't expect you to let me pass but I appreciate it when it's clear I'm being allowed.

You had a good pace following me for a few laps.

It could have been rather interesting had I qualified near the front Clive. I doubt either of us could have broke away from the other without the man behind making a mistake.

Yeah, was lucky that Andreas seemed to have problems in the last laps...

Made a stupid setup change in last second before the race what made my rear end very nervous, so I lost it  Roll Eyes

Looked like you and Andreas had a good race going too. I saw him on your tail for many laps. You may have been a little faster but not enough to break the tow. Same thing you could have done to me or I to you.

Only reason I lost it once was because I wasn't using all of Prib. Have you ever read that before? lol I only had the distance meter and tire temps displayed. I didn't know my previous lap time, so I may have pushing much harder than I would have, had I known what my pace was. I wouldn't have had the tires displayed if we didn't generate so much heat in the LF tire. Luckily I'm not distracted by prib. I only glanced at the tire temps twice. The LF changing to red caught my attention and I later looked at the LR temp after I slid the rear once much more than I liked.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 08:58:24 AM +0000 »

I'm using 78° on a 32" HDTV. Should I trying setting the FOV at 94°?

I played around with the FOV a year or two after my start with GPL. I never felt I could make any improvements so I went back to default to which I'm accustomed. After some time to adjust I wonder if it would be an improvement for me. Initially, it's likely to cause me difficulty such as my experience before.

Yes you should!

78° on a 16:9 Monitor provides an increasing optical distortion to the boundaries!

Axel "Cookie"

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 12:13:10 PM +0000 »

Changing what the wise programmers at Papyrus made for us, will not improve your driving.  It will change the perspective you see.  Could the diagram maker explain the diagram?  What do the lines show?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:15:06 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 02:51:51 PM +0000 »

Just put these 3 jpg on desktop and doubleclick, then switch between them:
No change in perspective for the first 2
Big change for 3rd pic!!!

78° in 4:3 (640x480, 256 colors, server)

94° in 16:9

78° in 16:9

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:34:40 PM +0000 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 03:38:54 PM +0000 »

The diagram is supposed to explain the screens.  I will correct your understanding of optics and distance, by fixing your inaccurate diagram.
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 03:51:43 PM +0000 »

specsavers ?   Grin
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 06:02:38 PM +0000 »

. . .  Cheesy  No, more like a mild pair of Binockers . . .  laugh
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com