Quarterly cost: �0

April 27, 2024, 11:28:38 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: END OF SEASON REVIEW  (Read 7100 times)
Iestyn Davies

Variety comes in packs of 7 GPL cars! Drive 5/day!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 06:49:34 PM +0000 »

Looking at the calendar seasons and UKGPL seasons, just the 11/10/8 championship rounds are probably best:

67 F1: Kyalami, Monaco, Zandvoort, Spa, Le Mans Bugatti Rouen, Silverstone, Nurburgring, Mosport, Monza, Watkins Glen, Mexico City

67 F2: Snetterton, Silverstone, Nurburgring Sudschleife, Hockenheim, Tulln Zeltweg*, Jarama, Zandvoort, Enna, Brands Hatch, Vallelunga

67 GT: Daytona, Sebring, Monza, Spa, Targa Florio, Nurburgring, Le Mans, Brands Hatch

*I'd recommend Tulln be replaced by Zeltweg 71, due to the mismatches there when we raced it in UKGPL, plus Tulln and Zeltweg airfield were just placeholder tracks in real life until Osterreichring was built in 1969 anyway.

PS. 67 GT NC rounds were Hockenheim, Mugello, Enna, Zeltweg, 'Bremgarten', 'Sudschleife'. I think Enna is the best one to add historically to make a 30 round/3 season fit for UKGPL, but the other five might give better races.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:51:09 PM +0000 by Iestyn Davies » Logged

GPLrank = -75
Monster = -400

See ya online Smiley
Mark Jones

Calm like a Bomb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 07:12:08 AM +0000 »

Shame the Friday league is coming to an end. It's been a great challenge and great fun. Big thanks to all the organisers, and fellow competitiors over the years.

These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 09:26:37 AM +0000 »

Friday does not absolutely have to end Mark.

Big thanks to Axel, who had organised the series, but feels that he needs a break and the numbers attending the season that has just finished had dwindled to about 5-6 cars.

If enough people still want to race on a Friday, and a format can be agreed, then a server might be found. Realistically we would need around 12 members to register, which would allow for regular grids of 8-10 cars.

Don't forget that it is possible for individuals to host races from their own PC on IGOR. If there is a small group ( 5-6) who still want to race, a decent internet connection and a high spec PC would probably handle it.

This discussion thread is all about members voicing their opinions.........so put your thoughts here.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:21:46 PM +0000 by EvilClive » Logged

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Tom van Ostade

"anything can happen, and it usually does"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 12:00:35 PM +0000 »

Looking at the calendar seasons and UKGPL seasons, just the 11/10/8 championship rounds are probably best:

67 F1: Kyalami, Monaco, Zandvoort, Spa, Le Mans Bugatti Rouen, Silverstone, Nurburgring, Mosport, Monza, Watkins Glen, Mexico City

67 F2: Snetterton, Silverstone, Nurburgring Sudschleife, Hockenheim, Tulln Zeltweg*, Jarama, Zandvoort, Enna, Brands Hatch, Vallelunga

67 GT: Daytona, Sebring, Monza, Spa, Targa Florio, Nurburgring, Le Mans, Brands Hatch

*I'd recommend Tulln be replaced by Zeltweg 71, due to the mismatches there when we raced it in UKGPL, plus Tulln and Zeltweg airfield were just placeholder tracks in real life until Osterreichring was built in 1969 anyway.

PS. 67 GT NC rounds were Hockenheim, Mugello, Enna, Zeltweg, 'Bremgarten', 'Sudschleife'. I think Enna is the best one to add historically to make a 30 round/3 season fit for UKGPL, but the other five might give better races.

I've run all of these before though Grin . I did like Tulln as it was a bit of a change, and I've only raced there once. The mismatches were a bit of a pain, but if there is interest, I can whip up a new installer with a new track folder so everyone runs the same track.

Same with Le Mans Bugatti, I've only run there a couple of times, but I've run Rouen a lot. Out of the NC rounds, I've not run Mugello yet. Also, Vallelunga is an awesome F2 track that I've not run much yet, but is a real stunner Smiley . Also Oliver's Mount is a cracker very well suited to the small 65 and F2 cars. As a contrast, we run Imola a lot, which isn't very accurate in track layout, and not much to look at. Good fun to run it every once in a while, but there has to be something out there that is as much fun but looks better as well Smiley .

Or perhaps some old school tracks that were very popular back in the day, but are not run today, like Road67 or something. Or perhaps a series on contemporary F1 tracks, we have Barcelona, Sepang, Suzuka and maybe others that I've still not run even once.

On fantasy tracks, there's Cerne's Wood that I've never driven.

Then there are Raul Valenzuela's tracks, which are very well suited to the small 65 and F2 cars, and all good fun.

Or maybe we could run a British season, fantasy or not, we have Cerne's Wood, Donington (30's and 90's), Silverstone Club circuit, Castle Combe, Aintree, Birmingham, Cadwell,  Lulsgate, Lydden Hill, Thuxton etc.

So much to run Smiley .

Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 07:26:17 PM +0000 »

Watch this space regards a British series. Am thinking a British GT series. Smiley

Personally I am hoping to be a bit more successful with regards my participation. The lack of practice and high maintenance of MiniTM has resulted in a majority (read success) non-finishes.

From a mod choice perspective, the 67F2 and 69X mods were recently very popular in their series, but 69X races needed a lot of work moderating and 67F2 participation dwindled.

Personally, I like the original 67s and feel that using the original championship tracks would be a decent challenge (LM Bugatti included). Whilst I would like to attack the 69X cars again experience is lacking.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Tom van Ostade

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 10:26:27 PM +0000 »

Instead of the 69x or F2's maybe the 67x's for the British series? Might be worth trying them out in a funrace at least. Close to original GPL but with some additional cars like the BRM P126 and McLaren M5a so might be interesting.

Iestyn Davies

Variety comes in packs of 7 GPL cars! Drive 5/day!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 11:06:59 PM +0000 »

To be honest, I am also tired of racing the same old rank tracks, but I'll just go with what the majority wants - it's not too hard for me to tweak a setup in qually at a new track e.g. Estoril (but please lets never race that icy track ever again!), but the old tracks all have setups ready to go.

Testing the 55 mod, I had an idea to split the races into an F1 season and 'British F1' season, which is kinda how things were back then anyway, judging by the entries.

British calendar: Goodwood (maybe use e.g. Thruxton instead to avoid discos), Silverstone, Donington (for repeat Snetterton), Brands Hatch (for Davidstow), Crystal Palace, Charterhall, Snetterton, Aintree, Oulton Park, Castle Combe. Am I missing any big UK tracks?

GPLrank = -75
Monster = -400

See ya online Smiley
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 10:15:58 PM +0000 »

It did occur to me that ( just for the hell of it), we could run a fun series with 2 x 25 minute sprint races each evening using the original Pappy tracks.

First race would be normal direction with 67 GP cars, second race reverse direction with F2's. Everyone would know the circuits and have them in their season folder and the setups ought to work ( mostly), maybe any asymmetric setups would need reversing too. Running a track in reverse effectively gives us twice as many tracks to choose from  Roll Eyes

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:29 PM +0000 »

I would like to keep Tuesdays as 65s as its the only night I can almost guarantee to be there. The Ams have some good races in 65s and bigger numbers will always help of course.

I would like to try Sunday 67s too which I should be able to make most of the time but won't be too put out if they are changed for something else.

Outside of that I am looking forward to the 55s, have never tried 66s or F2s and I am not that fond of the GT mod as the cars have a tendency to lock wheels with me driving.

Other than that I am grateful for the race servers, knowing how time consuming being a mod can be.

JonnyO

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 11:46:53 PM +0000 »

I would like to propose an annual modGT championship
Where you can run with 1 or 2 servers
2 categories
Category 1, free tokens based cars
Category 2, only Porsche
I can offer 1 server
May be the clues that Iestyn Davies has requested
With the inclusion of Tandill, which is great for modGT
And the Targa race is just the best lap of a 4-hour qualy PRO
Tom van Ostade

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 12:06:50 PM +0000 »

I would like to propose an annual modGT championship
Where you can run with 1 or 2 servers
2 categories
Category 1, free tokens based cars
Category 2, only Porsche
I can offer 1 server
May be the clues that Iestyn Davies has requested
With the inclusion of Tandill, which is great for modGT
And the Targa race is just the best lap of a 4-hour qualy PRO

Sounds good Smiley .

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 01:18:45 AM +0000 »

This seems the only place for silent racers to find a voice, 1 or 2 times each year.  But the race results section where everyone goes, never points to this. Roll Eyes

FRIDAY PORSCHE :

JonnyO and Tommie suggest a Porsche only GT series - this has happened before.  Two grids worked Ok.  One grid less so.  Teams became a big deal for points and a handicap attempt, but made drivers more aggressive.  There was much unhappiness.  It ended, as Fridays since have ended, with few racers, but might be Ok for 1 Season only.  

HANDICAPS :

I think Friday racing on 1 grid, needs a full handicap.  This suggestion has been made before.  Half-hearted handicaps give front runners good racing, while sad rear racers disappear.  Here is a Ukgpl handicapping system according to one Moderator last month :

"The tokens system applies, but there has been an option to introduce a further handicap in
the event that faster drivers were running away with the series."  

Tokens are NOT a '67 handicapping system, unless the Championship has only 1 race?

Handicapping that is not predetermined, will make some think racing at Ukgpl is unfair.  And a voluntary handicap rewards those who ignore it.  I mostly ignore Ukgpl ATM, and one reason is poor handicapping.

Perhaps more new ideas are needed?  I invite Tommie to apply for a place in the Moderating team. A good racer and a man with ideas.  Wink  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:45:10 AM +0000 by maddog » Logged
Tom van Ostade

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 01:33:33 PM +0000 »

I would love to help with moderation, but time is lacking Sad . Also this coming february I will become an intern at a company to aid in my Mechanical Engineering degree, so I don't know how that will pan out with regards to time. But I'm happy to throw some ideas out there Smiley .

I would like a mixed token-based GT grid more than a Porsche spec race, but I'd take it Smiley . However I think Greg is right when he says the prototypes are not too popular, so we have to be careful what to chose as we have only a limited amount of race-evenings available Smiley .

Tommie.

Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 08:40:28 AM +0000 »

FRIDAY PORSCHE :
There was much unhappiness.

No surely not Martin laugh laugh laugh

HANDICAPS :
Handicapping that is not predetermined, will make some think racing at Ukgpl is unfair.  And a voluntary handicap rewards those who ignore it.

I do not know what you mean Martin  laugh laugh laugh

If only YOU were in charge Cool
Jani Posta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 12:07:41 PM +0000 »

Before any serious competition takes place, I'd suggest to try Lee's Weather Patch and Olaf's Pitstop Patch (and NightFog!!) on a well-known track like Silverstone or Kyalami.

Weather patch adds fog and changes the grip (according to server settings).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrZ0lTV-ozI

NightFog adds black fog (according to client settings).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FarxnVKzi_c

Olaf's patch simulates tire wear, punishes resets, etc.
http://www.eolcreplay.de/download/Pitstop_e.html (Site is safe!)
Readme at http://www.eolcreplay.de/download/ReadmePit.txt

Groundhog GPL Weekly / Custom Rank
www.formulado.hu/weekly
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com