Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 07:09:09 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S16Dn Spa: November 04, 2008
November 04, 2008, 09:29:19 PM +0000 - Spa (GPL) - UKGPL Season 16 (2008) Novice '65
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
b_1_rd
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.663
142.928mph
1 33:43.891
140.247mph
9 3:43.216
141.291mph
Dunlop  
Samb
 Reed Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 1 3:39.996
143.359mph
2 +32.181
138.052mph
9 3:41.538
142.361mph
Dunlop  
maestro57

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 4 +3.500
141.114mph
3 +37.910
137.669mph
9 3:44.424
140.530mph
Dunlop  
happyal

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 3 +3.010
141.424mph
4 (+1) +38.450
137.632mph
9 3:42.223
141.922mph
Dunlop  
miner2049er

Honda RA272 F1 1965 7 +11.585
136.187mph
5 +56.093
136.465mph
9 3:47.826
138.432mph
Goodyear  
Steve Busa

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 5 +5.178
140.062mph
6 +1:19.608
134.940mph
9 3:44.728
140.340mph
Dunlop  
G Poole

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 6 +7.105
138.874mph
7 +1L
134.489mph
8 3:45.838
139.650mph
Disco
Dunlop  
vosblod

Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 8 +30.643
125.832mph
8 +3L
127.439mph
6 3:58.307
132.343mph
Disco
Dunlop  
4 UKGPL

Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 9 9 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

A first win for Steve, with a strong consistent drive, and a first podium for Peter as he was at last on the slower grid.

Quite a good performance all round from the Novices, there was some odd driving which seems to be down to PC problems, hope you can fix them soon as there's nothing worse.

Server replay time: 0h12m51s

L4 after Combes

Sam is slow to recover after misjudging the corner but stays well to one side of the track. Al is able to watch him down the straight, but still changes line to rear-end him. I was puzzled, but perhaps this is an instance of a changed perspective when closing rapidly, that lured Al into the wrong move.

I've waived the yellow cards points as I believe that this incident was due to inexperience with GPL's representation of the situation.

Server replay time: 0h16m05s

L4 Source

Graham rear-ends Mike, who braked earlier than he had before.

Server replay time: 0h20m02s

L6 Eau Rouge

Sam leads Steve into L'Eau Rouge by about half-a-length. Steve doesn't allow enough room, though there was no effect on Sam from the slight and warp-affected collision.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h27m02s

L7 after Blanchimont

Al passes a recovering Maestro and there is side-to-side contact, however with little effect on Maestro. Al should allow more room to other cars in future though!

• Racing incident

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 16 (2008) Novice '65 - Spa (1967) - Nov 4  (Read 10874 times)
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 08:21:04 PM +0000 »

We'll be running two grids tonight so the Amateurs will start later at 2100GMT.

Though beginners might be able to get the 65s round the Ring easier, racing is another matter.  Clermont isn't as difficult to learn, and the graphics are good even if its slightly inaccurate.  It might also be better to concentrate on well-known tracks, however good tracks like Leipzig are to race- I'd prefer Solitude or Hockenheim, though we might want more twisty tracks for balance, where switching Clermont for Rouen helps somewhat.
happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 10:20:06 PM +0000 »

I've added the Novice race report onto this thread

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3915203#post3915203

Clive, could you please do a nice graph for us Smiley

GPL65Rank = coming soon.....
GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
Samb
UKGPL Divisional Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 10:31:27 PM +0000 »

A bit of an erratic race for me. The first few laps were good fun with battling Steve but I ran wide at Les Combes and consequently lost a lot of speed. After Steve had passed me Al came steaming in from behind and gave me a good whack. It was partially my fault since if I didn't run wide in the first place the crash wouldn't have happened. I then procceded on the same lap to run wide at Blanchimont which demoted me to 5th. I worked my way up to 2nd again but then ran wide at Blanchimont another two times during the rest of the race!

Steve's terrific consistency won him the race and he was simply the better driver on the day so full congrats to him.
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 10:51:37 PM +0000 »

I've added the Novice race report onto this thread

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3915203#post3915203

Clive, could you please do a nice graph for us Smiley

Done  Grin

Thanks for the report file Alastair.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Steve Busa

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 11:18:33 PM +0000 »

My first league race, fantastic!!! Had a PC prob mid race, still enjoyed it!!!, thks to organisers.
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 11:20:47 PM +0000 »

If it could go wrong it did go wrong...
Up to today I had got a qually of 3.49 and race time of 3.51 and was feeling pretty pleased and looking forward to some racing...
Then tonight (1) When I got into practice PC crashed and had to reboot and check disk whilst watching qually time expire while I waited (2) Got back in just before race but messed up my only chance to get an OK time (3) Start of race got half a screen and had to fiddle with monitor to get screen back while I could hear everyone driving off (4) In race got constant stuttering/freezing and best I could get was 3.58 (5) Screen went blank and GPL crashed - to be honest this put me out of my misery  Cheesy

My PC has been dying a death for some time and need a new one - until I can get the dosh I'm thinking of using the work laptop for on-line races - couple of questions;
- My broadband connection is 4.2mbps - if I turn off some of the graphics options would this stop any on-line stuttering? (seems to freeze for a second then jump)
- Can I copy my home PC sierra/gpl folder to the laptop or do I need to run the exe files and install GPL and the MODS?

Anyway well done the winners and hopefully will have sorted the PC problems before the next race...
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 11:47:56 PM +0000 »

- My broadband connection is 4.2mbps - if I turn off some of the graphics options would this stop any on-line stuttering? (seems to freeze for a second then jump)

Not an issue. My server that has been hosting practise sessions run on my connection that sits around 3.2 - 4 mbps.

The stuttering problem will be your PC / RAM / Graphics card / Hard drive rather than your connection.

Can I copy my home PC sierra/gpl folder to the laptop or do I need to run the exe files and install GPL and the MODS?

Not sure but I think you need to run the installs than restore your backups. The installs will put in any relevant registry entries etc.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 11:50:43 PM +0000 »

You'll have to re-install and then copy your driver folder from in the players directory to retain setups ect..
You'll also have to freshly install GEM/Igor and all your tracks and misc other mods like GPLShift if you use it  Smiley
A 4.2meg connection shouldn't limit your game in anyway. Jumping and freezing is more likely to be a result of your pc's illness.
Try dusting it out with an airline (carefully!) as it may just be heat related.

Happy with my race result - although have no idea how Lorenzo got that qualifying time in a BT7  I Am Not Worthy
Used my rockets to good effect on the start which sent me from 4th to 2nd before Eau Rouge, backed off slightly as I noticed I was in Natans Blind spot on the approach and then spent the next 3 or 4 laps battling to retain my (varying) gap of 2 seconds.
Until I ran wide and had to resort to massive oversteer to save it - this cost me time and broke my rythem which dropped me back to a distance of 7/8 seconds which I held for the rest of the race.
The guys behind seemed perfectly happy to battle amongst themselves so I never had to worry about what was in my mirrors beyond the 2nd lap  Grin

Really good race for me - Congrats to Natan and thanks to everyone else involved  thumbup2
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 01:45:31 AM +0000 »

Wow what a race for me.

Qualifying went well and I get P2 with a 3:40.659, 0.663 behind Sam.

We make a clean start and roar off down to L’Eau Rouge.  I keep station behind Sam driving well just up ahead.

L2. I get a good drive out of Malmédy and get along side of Sam.  We run side by side but I backed down not wanting to cause any incident going into Mastra.  I get a good run through and again pull along side out of Stavelot but this time I was on the outside of the left so again fell in behind Sam.  Al keeping a watching brief behind us.

L3. I stick close to Sam through L’Eau Rouge and into Les Combes.  Sam runs a little wide and gives me a shot at turning tight, I get a better drive out and get ahead on the run down the hill.  I maintain P1 until turning a bit tight into La Carriére, where I had been off a number of times in practice.  I backed off a little to ensure I don’t over correct and visit the house ‘magnets’ which gives Sam a good run and into P1 again in time for Blanchimont.

L4. Al was closing in when Sam went very wide at Les Combes and clips the barrier, he keeps it pointing the right way but has slowed allowing me to get through along the downhill stretch.  Al on full chat closes in but guesses wrong at what Sam might do at slow speed and tags the rear of Sams BRM sending them both into a spin.  Both recover and Al falls in behind Sam to get back up to speed.  A rapidly closing Peter and Steve Busa are now close behind, with Mike not too far back, Graham and Vlad running further back up track.

While all this was going on I opened a bit of a gap and tried to settle in to some consistent driving and watch to see how things develop.

Mike puts a whel on the grass leading up to La Carriére to allow Graham to close right in.  Sam loses control at Blanchimont and allows Al, Peter and Steve Busa through. On the run into La Source Graham brakes a little later than Mike and contacts the back end of Mike’s Honda.  They spin into the hay bails, but both recover and rejoin the race.

L5.  Steve Busa gets good drive up L’Eau Rouge and makes a pass on Peter for P3 by Les Combes, and Sam closes right up again.

I’m looking at the lap counter thinking ‘haven’t we just done this lap’ they aren’t going by quick enough!  I tell myself TAKE IT EASY, DON’T FALL OFF AGAIN!

Close racing continues for P2,3,4 & 5.  Sam grabbing P4 from Peter with a good exit from La Carriére.  Graham takes a spin at Blanchimont to put him well back from Mike, running P6.  Steve Busa holds a defensive line into La Source but runs a wide exit to give Sam a sniff passed the pits and back to P3… or is it!!! 

L6. Steve takes a fast line through the bottom of L’Eau Rouge and they run side by side, the wheels take the slightest of touches and it send Steve into the barrier allowing Peter to gain P4. All settles down for a moment when Al runs a little wide at La Carriére to allow Sam to regain P2 once again.

L7. CONCENTRATE! DON’T DO ANYTHING SILLY, I say to myself over and over.  I break early and am more conservative with the engine RPM, while trying to maintain a comfy lead.  Surely I can do this and not mess up.

Vlad, plagued with technical issues calls it a day.  Al runs wide at Stavelot and spins to the outside allowing Peter to pinch back P3.  Sam then runs wide, too at Blanchimont, but Peter fails to take advantage and also runs wide, but keeps it pointing down track.  This allows Al to catch up fast but the wheels touch as they pass and Al spins, Steve Busa has to make avoiding action and also spins.  Al gets going again quickly just ahead of Steve’s Lotus.

L8.  P1 Steve Bird, P2 Sam Blood, P3 Peter Maestro, P4 Al Baldwin, P5 Steve Busa, P6 Mike James and P7, Graham Poole.

I’ve backed off and run in the 44’s, some 4 seconds off my practice laps, but keep an eye on the gap back to Sam.  Steve Busa is chasing Al but loses the rear at Malmédy allowing Mike and Graham through.

L9.  1 to go.  HOLD IT TOGETHER I’m shouting inside my head!

Mike runs wide at Les Combes but Graham is not close enough to capitalise, in turn Steve Busa is closing Graham down.  Peter, still P3 is being chased by a hard charging Al closing in bit by bit.  Graham is holding off Steve when he disappears in what looks to be a late disco (didn’t deserve that) finishing Graham’s efforts, Steve flies into P6.

Up front I’m a bag of nerves going into La Source, a favourite spinning area for me.  HOLD IT TOGETHER!  I make it gingerly around and get to the line in P1, WOW!!!

Sam still holding P2 takes another spin at Blanchimont but has enough time to recover and get home in front of a charging Peter with Al for close company.  They rush into La Source but stay in position for Peter to take P3.  Mike comes home P5 with Steve Busa’s Lotus completing the finishers in P6.  We learned later that Steve Busa was also having tech issues.

In the end I didn’t do much close combat.  Running relatively slow lap times some 4 seconds off my PB, but it was enough and managed to take the win by 32 seconds.  It seems such a long time in racing but, heck it doesn’t feel anywhere near big enough when you have these guys chasing you down.

Thanks for the race guys.  Hope you all make it to Rouen and we can welcome back Norbert and Asbjeurn too.

I’m off to get a glass of Champers as long as the rest of the ‘Soggies’ don’t get to it first.  Tongue
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:52:59 AM +0000 by b_1_rd » Logged

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 08:00:48 AM +0000 »

Sounds like your pc is doing something else at the same time.  I always run EndItAll before a race and it shuts down about ten programmes that are running in the background.  Also, make sure that your virus checker, or anything else, isn't trying to update itself whilst you race.

- Can I copy my home PC sierra/gpl folder to the laptop or do I need to run the exe files and install GPL and the MODS?

Anyway well done the winners and hopefully will have sorted the PC problems before the next race...

As someone else has said.  Do a proper install and then copy your player info over.  You may want to copy your replay folder too.  That will enable analyser to find your best laps at non-papy tracks and will not screw up your times on GPLRank.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 10:58:48 AM +0000 »

One thing to look for Vlad, is make sure all your power save options are off.  Follwoing a re-install of windows I had not changed from the default settings, and it was causing no end of problems.

Go to your display properties under screen saver, select power and I suggest you use 'always on'.

Hope it might help.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 12:17:25 PM +0000 »

Good fun race for me, I should of done better cause I had really good speed.

Got away well, I had a nice little pocket for myself where I wasn’t under any pressure and settled into the race well. I started to gain a little on the guys in front after the first lap and I was quite happy to take it easy. I think it was the 3rd or 4th lap Sam spun in front of me, I saw him rejoin the circuit and I went to take him on the inside, at this point I thought he was moving back to the inside, after a bit of indecision I went to overtake him on the outside, but I was far too late to change and ended up hitting him hard, spinning him around again. Sorry about that Sam, if I had stuck to my first thought and went for the inside I would off avoided you and not ruined both our races. Need to be more decisive in future races.

After that I got back into a rhythm and rattled off the remaining laps without too much incident, I did make another mistake or two, that’s when Peter got past me. I was catching him fast over the last 2 laps, but ran out of time so ended up forth, which is roughly were I expected to be Smiley

One thing I noticed after the race when I looked at the lap time in Reply Analyser is that I lost almost all my time in the high speed corners, where other cars drifter around them and I didn’t. I really need to learn how to do this because at the moment my car is setup with a very stable rear and will under steer if pushed rather than slide, or over steer.

GPL65Rank = coming soon.....
GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 01:25:04 PM +0000 »

One thing I noticed after the race when I looked at the lap time in Reply Analyser is that I lost almost all my time in the high speed corners, where other cars drifted around them and I didn’t.

That's my problem too.  Sad

Great race and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I got away well and pipped Graham into Eau Rouge despite backing right off to keep it clean. Had a little hiccup through Malmedy which upset Graham's rhythm a bit and he fell back a little.

The guys in front were gone from sight and Graham was appearing in my mirrors but I think I surprised him by braking for La Carriere and he lost momentum.

A bit later I got Steve and Al back in my sights as their squabble was slowing them down but at that point Graham had a pop at me going into La Source. I love a man with ambition but I didn't expect that move. I'd like to see a replay but I think I left him enough room.

I didn't see anybody again until some fresh rubber marks going into Malmedy heralded the sight of Steve facing the wrong way which made me smile as I headed for Masta.

I knew if I kept it on track he would not recover enough to catch me, and Graham's spin meant that I could peg that gap too and nurse it home.

Only really troubled the front runners up until the Green Flag dropping but there is a lot to be said for consistency because I was the second most consistent lapper in the race and finished above where I expected to.

Will Tway

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 02:26:59 PM +0000 »

Despite not being a big fan of Spa, I throughly enjoyed this race. Hands down the most fun I've ever had at Spa. Loads of dicing going on all over the place. My qually effort was not so good but got through Eau Rouge clean at the start. Appeared JR got a phenomenal start. 
The only problem I had, was several times the entire field just disappeared then would reappear about 7 seconds later. I believe I had an IP conflict but have resolved it. Sorry again if this caused anyone problems. Last lap was very exciting as Lorenzo span at La Source and I just got past and he loomed large in my mirrors the entire last lap. The Honda miraculously held on to 7th. Thanks for the fun. Grats Natan, Tim and Storm. WD

W- 

bound to cover just a little more ground
NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 04:15:53 PM +0000 »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Congratulations to the podium ones !!!!

To Steve Bird for  nice win , to Samb being 2nd and to maestro for nice 3rd.

To Natan for outstanding win , to Tim on 2nd and fantastic start and to Storm catching place 3 in the end.

And of course big hand to all taken part.
Special thanks goes to the ones setting up servers.

Did have a very nice qually . new PB.
Race ended unlucky to me .unfortunately even shift R didn’t work , but could left via hammering on Esc.

@Vosblod , as to your PC problems ; I didn’t get what the differences of the troubles are , you got between online and offline.
Does the PC chrash and / or act strange even if your are not online with GPL ?

4.2 meg connection should be fast enough.

To check if  the trouble is maybe heat related , you can check some temps like CPU , GPU etc. via the programm called èverest home `.

Hard to give some diagnostics help from outside.

Regards
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com