Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 12:19:32 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4455GPP Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: Do you want to enter Season 18 Amateurs Trophy?
Yes, expect 75% or more attendance - 19 (76%)
Yes, expect less than 75% attendance - 6 (24%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 18 Amateurs Trophy Registration  (Read 12846 times)
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 06:18:09 PM +0100 »

Disappointed not to get the BRM, but given the practice for races I'd probably be the fastest in that car anyway. So the BT11's a fair car. I just hope I finish more races.

Hristo, you say it impacts on health driving the BT7, but you managed it for the entire stint of S17. If you add in this season, you'll probably learn to like the car and improve even more in it anyway. I know I would for other cars I've driven.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Asbjeurn Tverberg

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2009, 12:15:49 PM +0100 »

Phil Thornton- Ferrari
Hristo- BT7
Evil Clive- Honda
Ken Murray- BT11
John Roberts- BT11
Samb- BRM
FullMetal- Honda
MikeBeattie- Cooper
TurkeyMachine- BT11
FPolicardi- BT11
JamesRye- BRM
Miner2049er- Lotus
Clutch- BT11
Podkreceny- Lotus
Steve B_1_rd- Ferrari
Natan- choice between the Honda or the BRM again

*ahem* Haven't you forgotten one driver?  Roll Eyes

"Gentlemen, start your computers!"
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 12:27:02 PM +0100 »

My point is, if someone's fast they shouldn't have their chance of winning taken away completely if they refuse to exert a lot more effort than usual to compensate. Handicapping is all good, but it goes backwards at this extreme.

I can tell for sure I've seen drivers driving a lot more casually but happily finishing up the order because of the car. Is the fastest driver meant to have less chances of winning than the slower driver? What's the motivation for the slower driver to improve if they have it easy? What's the motivation for the faster driver to have improved through the years to be able to win just to have this taken away from him/her? You know well I like close battles instead of running away with a race, but when your chances are severely reduced it's all irrelevant, because after all, the idea of entering a race is to try and win it.

Of course, we can wait and see how it goes, but I can tell you for sure that if I drive normally without sucking out all my energy in a race like last season that I will win a lot less races. This is called going over your limits and is hardly the way to go if you want to keep a good health (physically and mentally) over time. Well, for me this point has been reached in the middle of last season and I'm not so masochistic as to ignore that. Interpret it in whatever way you want...

Jethro, I've been put mostly in BT7 almost anywhere (leagues) I have driven through the years, so it's hardly about experience with the car or learning it. I'm quite comfortable with the car, it's a great car, handling wise. Last season, on most tracks, I was constantly beyond the limits of the car just to have it mixed up with the leaders. I'm sorry, but somehow I don't see someone in a faster car forced to do the same because they simply rely on a stronger engine to compensate.

IMO you're trying to regulate the handicap way too much. There are no distinct groups in your system, but you look at it driver by driver. So if a driver is, say, about a tenth or 2 tenths a lap slower than another, you give him a slightly faster car instead of simply letting him see the impact of him being slightly slower and giving him motivation to find those extra tenths naturally, with practice. And that of course magnifies significantly at a track where engine matters more.

Anyway, I guess I made my point clear and perhaps it's too late for changes now, but I'm sure my point will be proven during the season. I won't quit the division, I like the 65 races, but I won't destroy myself just to compensate for severe handicap either. Mind that a lot of the people during last season have improved substantially, so I expect them to be even harder to catch this season. My realistic goal is 4th in the Championship, unless they mess up.  Cheesy

Cheers,

-=Hristo=-

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 01:48:15 PM +0100 »

Phil Thornton- Ferrari
Hristo- BT7
Evil Clive- Honda
Ken Murray- BT11
John Roberts- BT11
Samb- BRM
FullMetal- Honda
MikeBeattie- Cooper
TurkeyMachine- BT11
FPolicardi- BT11
JamesRye- BRM
Miner2049er- Lotus
Clutch- BT11
Podkreceny- Lotus
Steve B_1_rd- Ferrari
Natan- choice between the Honda or the BRM again

*ahem* Haven't you forgotten one driver?  Roll Eyes

Just to see if you were awake yes.

Ferrari for you my boy.

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2009, 02:16:22 PM +0100 »

My point is, if someone's fast they shouldn't have their chance of winning taken away completely if they refuse to exert a lot more effort than usual to compensate.

Which sounds a little bit like you want to win without trying very hard, and that is a situation I am trying to avoid.

Is the fastest driver meant to have less chances of winning than the slower driver?

No, the idea of a handicapping system is that the fastest driver, in fact all drivers, are meant to have the same chance of winning, and again, you won more races than anybody else last season and took the championship down to the last race which suggests that we had a very good handicapping system.

IMO you're trying to regulate the handicap way too much. There are no distinct groups in your system, but you look at it driver by driver. So if a driver is, say, about a tenth or 2 tenths a lap slower than another, you give him a slightly faster car instead of simply letting him see the impact of him being slightly slower and giving him motivation to find those extra tenths naturally, with practice. And that of course magnifies significantly at a track where engine matters more.

The cars are grouped into 3 approximate groups and they are allocated on that basis. Jack O had an excellent system for grouping the cars over a season which we used and it worked very well. It is not as casually done as you make it sound, believe me.

Don't forget we also have a mid season review and drivers can and will be changed from one chassis to another if it seems we have allocated them wrongly.

Anyway, I guess I made my point clear and perhaps it's too late for changes now, but I'm sure my point will be proven during the season.

You did, and I think I addressed your concerns, if not satisfied them.

It is too late now as everybody has registered for an allocated chassis, expressed their preferred choices and been allocated already.

Like I said, not just you, but everybody in both 65 divisions will be reviewed during the season to see how their allocation is working out.

I won't quit the division, I like the 65 races, but I won't destroy myself just to compensate for severe handicap either.

I wouldn't want you to quit and I'm sure I speak for the majority of the division when I say that, and as you say, we will see how it goes.

Mind that a lot of the people during last season have improved substantially, so I expect them to be even harder to catch this season. My realistic goal is 4th in the Championship, unless they mess up.  Cheesy

My goal is 4th in the Clark-Hill team. Wink

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 06:28:20 PM +0100 »

Which sounds a little bit like you want to win without trying very hard, and that is a situation I am trying to avoid.

There is trying hard and trying hard.

No, the idea of a handicapping system is that the fastest driver, in fact all drivers, are meant to have the same chance of winning, and again, you won more races than anybody else last season and took the championship down to the last race which suggests that we had a very good handicapping system.

Again, it's the cost of winning I'm addressing here. Not to mention I just got lucky on couple of occassions. Statistics rarely give clear idea of things, as you know.

The cars are grouped into 3 approximate groups and they are allocated on that basis. Jack O had an excellent system for grouping the cars over a season which we used and it worked very well. It is not as casually done as you make it sound, believe me.

Don't forget we also have a mid season review and drivers can and will be changed from one chassis to another if it seems we have allocated them wrongly.

I meant groups of drivers, not cars. For example, group 1 would be a couple of the top drivers, group 2 a couple of the less fast ones and group 3 the remaining slowest drivers. You give the slowest cars to group 1, middle cars to group 2 and fastest cars to group 3.

That way the fastest of each group can be the target for the rest of the group, otherwise there's no incentive to improve. It gives a lot more clear view on each driver's abilities and doesn't lead to wrong misjudgment. At the same time, everyone will still have reasonable chances, but equalizing the whole field is an unnecessary utopia, IMO.

You did, and I think I addressed your concerns, if not satisfied them.

It is too late now as everybody has registered for an allocated chassis, expressed their preferred choices and been allocated already.

Like I said, not just you, but everybody in both 65 divisions will be reviewed during the season to see how their allocation is working out.

OK, I agree it's too late to make changes right now, but couldn't have written earlier before seeing the chassis allocations.

My goal is 4th in the Clark-Hill team. Wink

Clark-Hill is so going down!  Tongue

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 06:44:08 PM +0100 »

Not to mention I just got lucky on couple of occassions. Statistics rarely give clear idea of things, as you know.

Granted, and you also got unlucky on occasion, by your own words "pulling away from Evil by a second a lap" at Silverstone when you blew an engine.

Swings and roundabouts.

Oh, and SHE can go and **** herself the ******* ****!

Wink

Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 06:53:10 PM +0100 »

Oooer missus!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
MikeBeattie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 09:43:28 PM +0100 »

I have to say that some of the BT11 drivers are a bit surprising

Ken, John and Fulvio for example are all very accomplished drivers, and quite frankly as quick as myself, it seems totally ridiculous that Hristo and I are the only drivers of the 16 valve Climax cars  

I didn't ask for a chassis, as I thought there would be better moderation in the allocation. So I'll put my request in now..........BT11 please.

BTW There wasn't any remark in the opening post to say that you could nominate/request your chassis. I must admit last season, my first, I simply put in the car I normally drove in the ADC thinking that it was a fair reflection. It soon became apparent that others had selected chassis which were well within their capabilities.

As the Season has not started, I see no reason why the allocation cannot be reviewed.

Even looking at the GPL rank would show a good indication of ability.

Looking at the WR times, also shows that the T77 and the BT7 are pretty well comparable, my own experience backs that up, in fact on occasion the BT7 is faster.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:38:20 PM +0100 by MikeBeattie » Logged

Cheers Mike
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 10:36:10 PM +0100 »

I have to say that some of the BT11 drivers are a bit surprising

Ken, John and Fulvio for example are all very accomplished drivers, and quite frankly as quick as myself, it seems totally ridiculous that Hristo and I are the only drivers of the 16 valve Climax cars.  

I didn't ask for a chassis, as I thought there would be better moderation in the allocation. So I'll put my request in now..........BT11 please.

Like I said to Hristo Mike, this was a combined effort, I didn't do it alone it was with feedback from others who know some of the drivers better than I do. Of the 3 you mention, Ken is hard to judge on recent 65 form as he only entered 3 races and appeared not to start 2 of them, but he did qualify in 4th twice and second once.

John won the title with consistency rather than speed and with only 1 win, and using Pro rules that is perhaps the most sensible strategy.

Fulvio seemed to pick up wins due to other people's misfortunes and sensible races rather than out and out speed (no offence Fulvio Wink) as he regularly qualified in the back half of the field (8th / 9th / 13th and a 3rd).

I must stress again, there is a mid season review, and even before then if anybody is obviously out of place either fast or slow they will be reallocated a different chassis.

No handicap system is perfect and never can be, though the current 67 format has seen a huge hike in numbers registering and it will be interesting to see how well the token system will work out over the season. For now though our 65 divisions are using chassis allocation like last season and the plan is that it gets more accurate every season.

Let's hope so.

MikeBeattie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 10:41:19 PM +0100 »

Mike

I have raced against these guys elsewhere, as late as last night at Spa, and I can assure you they are all just as compotent.

This needs to be sorted

If you review my season, it could be said that I lost any chance of winning due to inconsistancy, so where is that taken into account.

Cheers Mike
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2009, 11:08:16 PM +0100 »

Mike

I have raced against these guys elsewhere, as late as last night at Spa, and I can assure you they are all just as compotent.

Over a season of 10 races that is debatable and we would probably not agree.

If you review my season, it could be said that I lost any chance of winning due to inconsistancy, so where is that taken into account.

I don't see the logic in your point. Being inconsistent should not be a reason for a faster car, just like being consistent is not a reason for getting a slower car.

You had a poor second half to the season but that included 2 no shows, again not a reason to get a faster car. Even with you having a total of 3 no shows and only doing 1 lap of Albi, only 3 people got more podium finishes than yourself.

I would say you had a poor season rather than a poor allocation.

This needs to be sorted.

It does, and I don't want anybody in either 65 division to be unhappy with their chassis, but unfortunately that will never happen.

I have allocated the chassis in both divisions as fairly as I think anybody could, and with only 2 complaints so far out of 36 drivers I think I have got it very close.

If you are seriously unhappy with your chassis then you could report it to the chief moderator Phil.

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2009, 11:27:00 PM +0100 »

Can I remind everyone that we asked for opinions on the format of races etc in the Mid Season Review.  At the time most people were very supportive of the chassis allocation method.  Please have a look back at what you said then.  The only hint of criticism was from Mike when he backed Hristo but when taken in context of the other very positive comments from Hristo, I can only conclude that on balance that both of you, and everyone else, were happy enough.  The chassis allocation this season is pretty much the same as last season so what has changed?  Why are people getting so upset?

If you remember I did say I didn't like chassis allocation but I like to give the divisional moderators the choice on how they run the division.  I would prefer a handicap system similar to that in the Historics (or Clubmans - but the WR times based calculation might not be appropriate for the 65s) but it is a bit late now.

I have discussed this with Mike (James) in private and we considered giving Hristo (and presumably Mike too now) a quicker car for some of the quicker tracks but that seems to have sparked uproar from the rest of the drivers.  So we concluded that it wasn't such a good idea.

In all honesty I don't want the hassle of arguing about who gets what chassis.  It is a game and we are here to have fun.  The handicapping is supposed to encourage closer racing and hence more fun not less.  If someone is obviously struggling then the moderator can allocate them a faster chassis mid season (and vice versa).

I think Mike (James) and I should adjourn to the moderators forum for further discussions.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2009, 01:27:31 AM +0100 »

I think there's a misunderstanding here. It is not a negative comment in any sort, but a constructive criticism and a personal observation. I believe Mike's (Beattie) goes the same way.

What he really means is that you cannot simply take the recent results of someone, i.e. isolate last season and judge solely on that. You have to look at the driver capacity, potential and overall speed, between divisions, mods, even sims (ok, maybe not).

For example, if I see someone fast in 67s, they're immediately going down in my book as fast drivers regardless of mod. 65? Sure, it may take a few laps to adapt and get up to speed, and when it comes to setups, it may take a bit of time too. But I'd never expect them to be slower and fighting for lower positions than they did in 67s. It just makes no sense and if it happens, it's solely down to the that driver either lacking preparation for the event, having their mind wander off, not giving their best, bad shape or whatever. But definitely not skill levels, let alone potential for becoming faster.

I think this is what Mike (Beattie) meant exactly. Ken, if I have to address someone concretely, is IMO faster than Mike. I have raced both many times, in many divisions and that is what I conclude without even having to stop and think about it. Yet he gets BT11...

John is consistent you say, but the only reason he doesn't win as often as he could is getting involved in incidents. It is obvious to anyone who has been racing for the last few years that he has improved immensely. But at the same time, BT11 is probably OK for him, for the lack of slightly slower car.

Jethro, as a slacker as he is when it comes to racing, has potential to become as fast or faster than me if he does his homework, so are we just relying that he keeps NOT doing so? I guess, lol. Otherwise he'd blow everyone and their mother away in his BT11.

If it's between Cooper and BT7, the reason Cooper is the winner is the lower drag (they're supposed to have the same engine, right?) and thus a better acceleration and top speed. And handling wise, I could never go quicker in the BT7 even on a slower track, so the Coop must be rather good. I remember at Imola the difference in my laptimes was almost a whole second between these 2 cars (I had to switch chassis so I ended up practicing properly in both). It just goes to show that engine is the single most important thing in 65s. Not only because more torque/power means better acceleration and top speed, but it also helps you turn the car with ease by reducing the natural understeer with the increased rear wheelspin.

But again, no negativism here. Only discussing things. I'm sure you can see the point if you think about it. But I'm not sure you understand the difference in effort required to mitigate the true handicap that exists. Because at the end of the day, if you're used to seeing someone give 110 % and someone else give 90 % and you handicap them according to that, what happens if the first driver drops down to 100 % or 90 %? You see the second driver walk away with it.

I know it's impossible to come up with the perfect handicap and I have said before that we have a very good system, but because of the fact that there's a human element, we need to adapt all the time in order to improve it. There's no point stepping on our toes and trying to prove who's right and wrong, but rather listen to the comments of those involved.

In this case those directly involved have a lot better insight than those looking from the side. And there's nothing personal against anyone, so I've only mentioned names to give proper examples. I won't mind being given in someone's example in the same way as it can only help out reach a better solution.

So, Mike (miner) and Phil, as always, I appreciate your time and effort and love for the league, but please don't take a mere discussion like this as an assault against your way of doing things or as a kick against the system.

SHE will punish you for those words (once we decode the stars ****), Mike (miner)!  Grin

-=Hristo=-

EDIT: Just to add something because I haven't read all of Phil's post before posting mine. Phil, we're here to have fun, but the point of racing is winning, let's not have second opinions about that. It is a Championship of people who compete with each other and the goal is to win. It's an inevitable consequence of racing and a desire that sooner or later emerges in your heart and mind, even if you initially begin with the idea of merely having fun racing other people.

So I disagree when you call it simply a game and ask us to forget about the fact that we're competing with each other for victory. It's as real as it can get, game or not. Smiley

Also, IMO, taking away the option to post and discuss would seriously harm the community. As long as foul language is avoided, there's no harm as far as I can see. It's bad enough that we can't start our own threads for simple things like race tips, setups and so on...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 01:33:43 AM +0100 by Hristo Itchov » Logged

MikeBeattie

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2009, 08:32:08 AM +0100 »

Phil & Mike, being an office holder in another Club, I appreciate your work, any attempt at equalising performance is a hard task.

I am glad to hear you are going to have further discussions.

I would like to say that the general points Hristo has made above, I feel are close to the mark.

Quite honestly, I am more than happy to drive the T77 (in fact even the BT7), it is competitive enough against the slower drivers in the quick cars. Where we have a problem is a rump of other quick drivers who have been assigned some very good chassis.

There was some belittling of the remark made earlier by Hristo regarding his health. I can assure you it is VERY stressful driving the 16v cars against quick drivers in 32v cars, remember you can only make up in the corners what you are losing on the straights, you are on the max into, through and out of every turn, the concentration level is immense (hence why I fall off regularly !!). I end each race knackered  Smiley

Yes, we are here for fun, but it is a Championship, there is a competitive element. You've got to feel you've got a sporting chance, or there's no point.
So please  consider ALL the evidence from within the Club's resources and from outside ( Rank ) and make sure that each driver is being set an equal challenge to his abilities.

i look forward to hearing what you have concluded

Cheers Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com