Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 08:35:54 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: Do you want to enter Season 18 Amateurs Trophy?
Yes, expect 75% or more attendance - 19 (76%)
Yes, expect less than 75% attendance - 6 (24%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 18 Amateurs Trophy Registration  (Read 12849 times)
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2009, 02:04:21 PM +0100 »

John is consistent you say, but the only reason he doesn't win as often as he could is getting involved in incidents. It is obvious to anyone who has been racing for the last few years that he has improved immensely. But at the same time, BT11 is probably OK for him, for the lack of slightly slower car.

Jethro, as a slacker as he is when it comes to racing, has potential to become as fast or faster than me if he does his homework, so are we just relying that he keeps NOT doing so? I guess, lol. Otherwise he'd blow everyone and their mother away in his BT11.
I'm trying to resist the urge not to laugh, but it's very hard...... Tongue

Lately, I've not slacked, last season I was approaching races the wrong way. Arguably, for 65s and 67s, I'm in a better position to win races than I ever have been, mostly due to my mental capacity within the close racing not to screw things up at every (un)feasible opportunity. I'm still unproven in 65s, my GPL65Rank(v2) confirms that. The opportunity is there in S18, and I'm going to do my best to take it.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2009, 04:13:06 PM +0100 »

For what it's worth, I have been following this thread and can see the dilemma from both angles.

Firstly, I think one has to assume that every driver on the track ( regardless of what car he is driving) is at or very near his physical limit and going as fast as he is able, wringing every last tenth out of his particular chassis. Otherwise there does seem to be very little point in taking part??!!
 I can end up a sweaty slime ball after a race, with eyeballs out on stalks and a BO problem that would scare Skunks!! and still not be anywhere near a podium slot!!!!! The difference is in the ability of the the "fast" brigade to get more out of a particular chassis than others can ..which is what makes them winners.
Input of physical and mental effort alone will not guarantee a win, so I'm not sure that feeling knackered after a race can be measured and calculated into a chassis allocation table, as probably everyone is equally tired after a race, but some have achieved more than others???
I think we have discussed this topic before under different guises and realised that generally ( and it can only be a generalisation) the faster guys will  ( on average) win whatever "handicap" system is used, be it  pitstops ..chassis allocation or whatever.

As Hristo and Mike know, and agree, there is no perfect handicap system and there never will be, until we have an infinite number of cars all with slightly different performance to choose from and allocate.

I take H and M's point about some drivers who maybe finished mid table last season who are not really 50% slower  and may have missed a far higher table finish only by a couple of points. Also valid is the consistant scoring of good points, if not wins, throughout the season as shown by John. Even the relative reliability of some cars over others is a factor, but how do you rate that against driver ability to keep the car at 99.9% without over stretching the whizzy bits??

In fairness, I think a watchful eye by the moderators and a good mid season review is about the best that can be offered as whatever cars are allocated there will be some anomolies.
If I prove to be the dominat force in 65's this season as I have been instructed by HER, and the mighty Wazamobile is running away with the championship, I will ( reluctantly) allow myself to be demoted chassis wise around mid season. But if I am sneaky I can throw the first few races and get myself a nice shiny Lotus or Brab to clean up in the second half of the season Wink Grin Grin Roll Eyes

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
cure
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2009, 12:10:56 AM +0100 »

i'll have a go with the lotus
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2009, 01:19:40 PM +0100 »

i'll have a go with the lotus

OK I've taken you out of the Novices and entered you in Amateurs.

I'll give you the Lotus and the benefit of the doubt at this stage.

You have a good 67 rank but no 65 rank, however I have been warned about a mysterious chat lurker called cure who is a bit of a speed merchant so your chassis will be under review once we get started.

Which brings me on to all matters chassis allocation.

We have been adjourning to the mods forum as you know and there has been much heated discussion, but we finally decided to get a dozen sausage rolls and ten sandwiches rather than two trays of vol au vents.

Once lunch was out of the way we got onto business and decided the following.

(1) For the time being we will leave the chassis allocations as they are.

(2) Chassis changes (up or down) can happen at any time and not just after the mid season review.

(3) As part of the mid season review we will be putting up a poll to decide whether in Season 19 the 65 divisions here at UKGPL stick with chassis allocation or use a different handicapping method. (I will open a new thread nearer the time to discuss possible options and I would like all current 36 drivers in the 65 divisions to post in that thread when it appears).

(4) We see the 65s as an excellent first step into the GPL online experience and would not want to make the handicapping method too difficult to grasp which is why I currently favour chassis allocation as I know does Jack O who handled it so well last season as the mid season review shows.

(5) The mid season review should be used by everybody to give feedback (good or bad) to help us improve the handicapping year on year.

(6) Whatever handicapping method happens in Amateurs should also happen in Novices as there is often some crossover.

***NOTE***
I realise that there are 2 disgruntled drivers at the moment (there may be more who are less vocal in the forums) and I am sorry about that, but there is no way of pleasing everybody all of the time. As the moderator for the division I have to look at both sides and see that there are 34 happy (or satisfied) drivers and I see that as a positive result.

Please rest assured that point 2 above has always been the case though it may not have been mentioned publicly and I will be watching results closely for anomolies.

All of the named drivers mentioned above (as Hristo says) are done so only as illustrative examples and nothing personal should be taken from that, just as none of the discussion in the thread is personal.

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2009, 08:04:44 PM +0100 »

I will be watching results closely for anomolies.....

Well if the anomolies are racing too I want a faster chassis  Wink

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2009, 04:18:31 PM +0100 »

I will be watching results closely for anomolies.....

Well if the anomolies are racing too I want a faster chassis  Wink

LOL
I like that.
Glad to see that the time spent in foreign parts has not dulled your sense of humour.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2009, 09:24:18 PM +0100 »

It's trying very hard! Not here much longer all being well!  Smiley

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
roberto_motta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 08:05:08 PM +0100 »

Hi all,
I m newbie and i will be very happy to join this championship....
I came from Italy and  i m very very slowly   Wink ....
but i have more fun with gplegend Wink
john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2009, 08:12:24 PM +0100 »

Hi all,
I m newbie and i will be very happy to join this championship....
I came from Italy and  i m very very slowly   Wink ....
but i have more fun with gplegend Wink

if you are really slow it might be best for you to join the other (slower) 65 div .

john
roberto_motta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 08:13:42 PM +0100 »

ok John..
I m signed to novice thopy
Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2009, 11:25:15 PM +0000 »

Pending the moderating report into Clermont-Ferrand and my subsequent (non)participation at Zandvoort, I am withdrawing my activites in this particular division until further notice. My intention is to compete at Zandvoort, but if my suspension comes into effect then it won't happen. I'm fed up with crashing so early on in races in this division, through my own fault and others around me.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2009, 12:42:49 AM +0000 »

Pending the moderating report into Clermont-Ferrand and my subsequent (non)participation at Zandvoort, I am withdrawing my activites in this particular division until further notice. My intention is to compete at Zandvoort, but if my suspension comes into effect then it won't happen. I'm fed up with crashing so early on in races in this division, through my own fault and others around me.
Aren't you jumping the gun Jethro?
You showed what you are capable of at Bremgarten 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:44:51 AM +0000 by vosblod » Logged
Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2009, 01:31:02 PM +0000 »

Yes, but that's Bremgarten. I'm not jumping the gun, I know what's coming. I like Zandvoort, hence my desire to race there in all cars, but I'm not doing the rest of the races, not after this season.

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2009, 09:08:17 PM +0000 »

Yes, but that's Bremgarten. I'm not jumping the gun, I know what's coming. I like Zandvoort, hence my desire to race there in all cars, but I'm not doing the rest of the races, not after this season.

That's called quitting, Jethro. Unless the management bans you or something, just keep racing and learn from your mistakes. It's the only road to improvement, not quitting...

BTW, trust me when I say that I've seen FAR worse drivers than you, including aliens who keep wrecking half the field in almost each race and get banned from more than one league. I won't mention names  Grin , but relax - it's nobody of the current active here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:10:09 PM +0000 by Hristo Itchov » Logged

Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 10:53:05 AM +0000 »

Any chance of racing in the final race at Monza? Any chassis will do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com