Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 05:43:31 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gear Shifting  (Read 3309 times)
Clutch4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 12:43:03 PM +0000 »

Your quite right above, GPL Shift doesn't 'force' clutch use, but gives you the option.
(I knew this when i'd posted, but couldn't be arsed to log back in and correct myself - apologies).

Al Heller.. I know its a Friday.. but crikey.. it must be a slow day at work.

All i can say is, never judge my Performance by the 66's!! I'm absolutely Rubbish at them and can't put in Consistant laps, though Spa is one of my stronger Tracks.
65's are the one's i practice most and can drive consistantly with (This Seasons form apart!!)

As i said earlier, i'm now of the opinion there's not a lot in 'clean' lap time between the techniques, there's just more that can 'go wrong' with H Shifting.

If anyone hasn't had a go, you should. It makes the game EVEN more difficult! Hmmm.. then again  Wink
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 03:22:17 PM +0000 »

One place I have found where I can use the H shifter and clutch is Targa. Because you aren't on the absolute limit and gearchanging is normally only one or two up/down at a time I found I could manage that, and it did greatly enhance the experience.

Also regarding using the shifter but staying with lfb. I have tried that but my brain must have some heavily engrained neurological connections. Every time my left arm moves the shifter my left foot tries to dip the clutch. Not very good when the left foot is actually applying the brake. Strangely my left foot braking technique is fine when using the paddles!!!
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 04:51:06 PM +0000 »

That'll be Go-Karting experience I guess Ken  Smiley
On games that don't have a clutch or H-pattern option I'll use the paddles or sequential stick and can happily switch between left and right foot braking.
As soon as I'm in manual mode I can't LFB for toffee, this includes my attempts in real life on track aswell as in sims.
Oddly I was unable to even get to grips with LFB'ing my 2 Mercs a few years back despite them not even having a clutch to confuse me!  Huh
G Jonsson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:29 PM +0000 »

This was an intresting discussion.

I use the G25 with the H-shifter and have the clutch_Threshold =0 but still I brake with my right foot, because I don't think it is ok not to use the coast lock of the differential which you don't if you have ANY gas on while braking (see Niels Heusinkvelds setup guide 0.91). Yes, the car is more stable under braking if you brake with your left foot and use a little gas, but where is the fun in that   Grin

Isn't GPL all about it being difficult? OK, so I ought to have the clutch_Threshold = 90, but hey, who's perfect, maybe sometime.

So, do I go quicker with the G25, H-shifter? Yes I do, but I didn't at first when I got the G25, some 6 month ago, I was much slower and had all the problems you have mentioned in this thread but now I can't even think about using the paddles, instead I use the paddles to look around.

When downshifting i often go 5-4-3-2-1, (I don't like the 6-gear cars), often using the clutch even though I don't have to, during braking but it happens that I just go from say 5-2 so that I can concentrate on braking with my hands on the wheel. If I do that I of cause have to use the clutch.

And I use Birkenstock sandals on my feet, and I love the "Spell Check" on this forum  Tongue
Storm_Cloud

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 11:13:11 PM +0000 »

Also regarding using the shifter but staying with lfb. I have tried that but my brain must have some heavily engrained neurological connections. Every time my left arm moves the shifter my left foot tries to dip the clutch. Not very good when the left foot is actually applying the brake. Strangely my left foot braking technique is fine when using the paddles!!!

I suffer from exactly the same thing. I think when you take your hand off the wheel to shift your brain goes into "real life driving" mode.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com