Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 10:44:37 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4455GPP Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D Anyone?  (Read 2543 times)
maddog

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:59:17 PM +0000 »

For those whos computer includes an Nvidia based graphics card, and who haven't yet switched to a flat screen monitor, I've an item which might be of interest.

With most TVs now digitally conversant, their manufacturers have been scratching their collective heads, and wondering how to sell more units, before the glut of digitals eventually wear out.  The new gimmick for some, will be their ability to display programs/films made for them in 3 dimensions.  Most of us have by now seen 3D in a Cinema, but for a few of us at home, this is nothing new.

Allow me to elucidate, as there's no need to hallucinate!

For several years, I've been racing with the aid of a pair of unusual glasses.  What they do, is to transform my 2 dimensional screen, into a window through which an illusionary 3D world can be seen.  What this means, is that when driving in GP Legends, the track actually appears to extend away from the car, the cockpit has depth, and the horizon seems distant.

How is this done?  As I understand it, Nvidia graphics are programmed with the ability, to render 3D models from 2 different angles, and with suitable software installed, these 2 views can be combined to create a stereo image.  This is done by flickering between the 2 views very fast.

The easiest way to see the effect in action, is with a pair of cardboard glasses, with coloured filters, usually red & cyan (blue/green), which are cheap and plentiful. But this 'anaglyphic' method looses those 2 opposite colours in the process, so Ferraris for instance, suffer.  A better way (though more costly), is to obtain a pair of LCD shuttered glasses, as they can flicker in unison with the screen, and display the full rainbow of colours. These are what I use for video games.

Here's a link to an installation guide :
          http://www.flightsim.com/main/howto/3dflying.htm
Nvidia Gforce and Stereo drivers (both are needed), here :        
          http://downloads.guru3d.com/  towards the bottom of the list.

On the negative side, a CRT monitor needs to refresh at 100hertz or more, to prevent noticeable flicker, and work properly. Most flat screens won't do this. And there's some loss of brightness when viewing, because each image is only displayed for half the time.  Also, if your system is a few years old, you'd notice a framerate drop. I don't do 3D online for that reason.  Most importantly, the stereo drivers Nvidia provides, modify your graphics software. So an escape plan would be wise, in case the screen goes blank after installation. I've used them on several systems, both Win98 and XP without problems, but one never knows.

If this is old stuff to you racing fanatics, apologies offered, but I thought it worth a (long-winded) mention. Reactions seem to vary, when viewing the effect - I think it looks great, and I've been surprised not to see discussions on the subject online. Is there anyone else with prior experience, out there?  

I've several hi-res videos uploaded to the flightsim site, in case an anaglyphic glasses test is of interest to anyone curious - simply search my name. These will work on any screen. A more blurry GPL example is at:  
          http://www.vimeo.com/9621669  

Cheers and good luck!

Martin Hunt.

Cool               Cool               Cool               Cool               Cool            
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:03:45 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:50:06 PM +0000 »

Interesting, now I can't find those cinema 3D glasses to watch the video.
Re monitors. The GPL technical guys would know more but I'm sure I read something about 72HZ being the optimum for GPL at 36fps and after that the smoothness deterioirates?
But anyway you're saying you've tried it and it works...

I have a flat screen so take it won't work for me - it has a maximum refresh rate of 75Hz.
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:31:07 AM +0000 »

The problem with flat screens, is that the crystal as in LCD, won't reorientate fast enough for proper 3D viewing.  Faster ones are becoming available, but they're more expensive.

The reason a slow refresh rate doesn't work well, is because a visibly flickering screen tires your eyes.  70 flashes/Hz is fine for one image, but left, then right would mean only 35Hz each side.  50Hertz x2 is about the minimum for comfortable viewing. Afro 

Running GPL with a screen at 72Hz and 36 fps means 2 scans per frame.  With the 60fps patch, 60Hz would mean 1 scan per frame - perfect!  But is an exact match noticeable - I've not tried it?
NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 06:53:45 PM +0000 »

Cool Cool Cool
sounds real cool..........

of course I do have a CRT running   (except for the server its 15"TFT ) but ,
unfortunately I dont have any Nvidia card and none 3dglases , last  would be the smaller prob. laugh laugh
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:56:55 PM +0000 by NickyIckx » Logged
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:36:20 AM +0000 »

Would it work on a projector?
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 01:52:17 PM +0000 »

There are various ways by which to create the visual illusion of 3D.  It all started over a century ago.

Nowadays, Cinemas showing 3D, must project two moving images onto the same screen, and most often use polarizing filters, to isolate each one.  Then they fiendishly provide you with glasses with the same filters (horizontal and vertical), and "Hey Presto!," each eye see only one image. Wink

If you've a slide projector, you'd need a second one for this to work. Then the filters - anything that blocks the opposite view.  With the two images properly aligned, you'd see depth.    Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

There's an easier way to create 3D pictures, once you're equipped with a pair of anaglyphic glasses.  Several freeware programs let you combine left and right digital images, and automatically add the filters for viewing.

http://www.stereoeye.jp/software/index_e.html

Cool                           Cool                          Cool
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:56:10 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:52:50 AM +0000 »

Thanks for the 3d glasses Martin. Looks really good, shame it doesn't work so well on my 23" lcd.
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:55:40 PM +0000 »

I've uploaded another video clip.  These will play without special software/hardware, but red/cyan filters are needed to view the 3D effect.

http://www.vimeo.com/10160223
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com