Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 10:41:16 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: What carsets should we use for the Spec Race Challenge?  (Voting closed: March 11, 2010, 10:42:42 PM +0000)
10 races using the 65 mod. - 2 (9.5%)
7 races using the 65 mod then 3 races with the 67s. - 4 (19%)
7 races using the 65 mod, then 1 race with the 66 mod, 1 race with the 67s and the last race in the 69 mod. - 15 (71.4%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spec Race Challenge for Season 19  (Read 3194 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:42:42 PM +0000 »

In Seasons 16, 17 and 18 we ran an Inter League series.  Initially this proved very popular but last season it proved very difficult to put out a regular UKGPL team, moreover the opposition quite often had difficulties too with several rounds having to be cancelled or rearranged.  Consequently we will not be running an Inter league series in Season 19.  This will leave a Sunday night slot available.

The Sunday driver Spec Races proved very popular so we have decided to make this a formal series for Season 19.  So in practical terms the “Spec Race Challenge” will replace the Inter League series and will be held on Sunday nights.  The format of the “Spec Race Challenge” will be very similar to the “Sunday Driver Series” i.e. chassis allocation with no pit stops and hence no driver handicapping.  Given that we already run two 65 mod divisions (Amateurs and Novices) we thought it prudent to gauge driver opinion with regards to what car set to use.  The “Sunday Driver Series” was primarily aimed at the 65 mod but that doesn't mean the “Spec Race Challenge” has to be 100% 65s.  One proposal the moderators are considering is to use the “Spec Race Challenge” as means to introduce new drivers to the other cars.  We would start the season in the 65s but do the latter races in the other cars.  There are three permutations on offer.  If you would like to participate in the “Spec Race Challenge” and you would like to influence the format of the series please vote for one of the options above.

Don't forget the usual UKGPL rule of dropping the worst 2 scores will apply.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:23:16 AM +0000 »

I think this would be an excellent opportunity to introduce drivers to the "other" mods that we rarely ( if ever) use.

I think it is well known that I have a crack at the 69's from time to time, and participate in my own clumsy way in 65's, 66's and 67's. But I have NEVER even downloaded the Thundercar Mod, so there is scope for more fun even there.

Also bearing in mind the promised GT mod and rumours of a Lotus Cortina and Caterham/Lotus 7 mods there could be a lot of new stuff about. Given the amount of free time and effort put in to developing these different mods, I for one feel obliged to at least try them and see if I like what they have to offer.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Al Heller
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:09:25 PM +0000 »

Agree with Clive - Thunder Cars (and any newly-released mods) would be fun too.

Is the plan for everyone to run on one server? I do wonder if the popularity of the Spec Challenge last season had a lot to do with the fact that they were informal races (so people weren't really taking it all that seriously) & that a lot of UKGPL's fastest guys were absent on Interleague duty. 
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 05:11:16 PM +0000 »

I think this would be an excellent opportunity to introduce drivers to the "other" mods that we rarely ( if ever) use.
I agree with him and him  Grin  Did do a Thunder Cars race at Spa with GPL Racer and it was great fun.

Is the plan for everyone to run on one server? I do wonder if the popularity of the Spec Challenge last season had a lot to do with the fact that they were informal races (so people weren't really taking it all that seriously) & that a lot of UKGPL's fastest guys were absent on Interleague duty. 
That would probably depend on how many drivers register.
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:11:47 PM +0000 »

That would probably depend on how many drivers register.
Yes it would.  If enough drivers register we could run 2 servers (moderators pending because the admin for this series is quite high assuming we stick to the 2 x short race format).  Running 3 servers in this or any other division isn't an option with the current server lineup.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:58:23 PM +0000 »

Good point from Al, re the drivers absent on Interleague duties not dominating proceedings last season.

I hope that their involvement will not deter the regulars from still participating and enjoying the races?

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 10:04:58 PM +0000 »

Al - the Spec Series has grown out of last seasons Sunday Drivers - which were fun races deliberately run concurrent with the Interleague races to give the mere mortals something to do. The demise of Interleague has meant there is room for a full series including our resident Aliens.
Accordingly it is more organised but will keep the same two chassis two race format. Also it's supposed to be a "fun" league and part of that is participants shouldn't have to find too much time practicing with "challenging" tracks or too many different mods (65/66/67/69). As it is drivers will be in different chassis every week.
Track selection will be a mix of original Pappy tracks plus some add ons - for example the Sunday Drivers used Zeltweg & Hockenhiem which seem to go down well.
Original plan was for an exclusive 65 series but I had underestimated the interest in other mods and that will be decided by a popular vote. However, no Thundercars etc. just
yet.  
As to the number of participants / grids we will just have to see. Sunday Drivers at Zeltweg was on an evening where Interleague was cancelled and we ran two grids.
Also hoping that the Spec Series might be good vehicle attract new and additional drivers into GPL.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Samb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:13:11 AM +0000 »

I'm all for the spec races, sounds fun to me. However, since the Interleague events used to run predominantly the 67s, with the 66s thrown in, may I recommend the 65 mod be less of a feature? Much as I love throwing the go-karts about, the perhaps closet masochist in me prefers the brutal challenge the 67s offer, though I'm probably in the minority  Grin, and mastering the 66 slipstream is always an event. Perhaps a 4-2-2-2 rota involving the 65, 66, 67 & 69 Mods, providing there's enough interest?
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 01:41:09 PM +0000 »

I think there should be less seriousness in the Spec races.

Maybe even throw in a couple of Thundercar races on Ovals. Shocked

Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 09:54:01 PM +0000 »

All input welcome but as we have started the voting the series will be run with whichever of the three options get the most support.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 12:42:42 PM +0000 »

I'd agree with 2049er, as someone who'd like to try every mod on-line, but without fear of tumultuous repercussions (note: long words hurt brain).

Of the three options, I'd pick the third.  Having the 2 worst results dropped, would ease the pressure for diehard 65ers.  With enough entrants, one could even make a champ/non-champ split, with 2 grids, only I left my crystal ball at the track . . .  Cool
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:50:05 PM +0000 »

Aslong as I'm remembering correctly is there not also a Tasman carset now available?
That might make for an interesting race aswell  Smiley
john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 10:56:54 PM +0000 »

Aslong as I'm remembering correctly is there not also a Tasman carset now available?
That might make for an interesting race aswell  Smiley

thats only gfx and not physics .

john
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com