Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 11:48:13 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 19 - Mid Season Review  (Read 10560 times)
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 10:31:01 PM +0100 »

Somebody add Beal Valley into the long tracks list, that's an awesome circuit, fantastically fun, and anybody try going flat through a right-left-right-left kink at 190mph comparable to nothing.

Porto's also a great circuit, love the track in 65s, similar in feel to Bremgarten.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 11:15:21 PM +0100 »

My 2p's worth...

1. The Divisions

Novices - I've enjoyed the season so far, it's been competitive at the front although we only have around ten regular drivers, with others dipping in and out as time permits them. I enjoy the more relaxed rules as I'm still very much prone to errors, and it's nice to be able to finish the races and gain experience.

Personally I've enjoyed tracks such as Keimola, Laguna and Westwood as my lack of experience hasn't hindered me there in terms of getting on the pace, because other drivers haven't done many miles on those tracks either. Looking at the upcoming tracks it seems a nice balance between new and old.

One thing I have found as a novice is that it's a lot of work learning tracks and getting hold of setups. As I'm in the Lotus setups are readily available but if I was forced into another chassis I might struggle. I'm not good at developing setups but I suppose the counter argument to that is that it's all part of the game, so tough luck!

Spec Races - Last season I did these and the Novs, but I decided to concentrate only on Novs this time. The main reason for that is that the Spec races are only two days before the Novs, and getting up to speed for both is too time-consuming. Not sure what the other Novs think? If the Spec races were a week later that would make it easier for me but I suppose then the Ams would have the same problem.

As I build up more knowledge of tracks I will need less practice and will be able to enter the Spec series more often.

2. Servers

I've had no issues at all with servers, thanks to all those responsible for running them, much appreciated.

3. Moderating and Appeals

Generally this is fine, it's great that someone at srou went to the effort of creating a report form with replay upload.

My only criticism would be the turnaround time in waiting for the verdict. I got penalties at both Keimola and Laguna but only got the email notification after the Westwood event, which was 5 or 6 weeks afterwards. It would nice if all verdicts were in before the next round.

That said I realise the moderators are giving up their spare time, so it is perhaps unreasonable to expect them to be looked at so quickly.

4. Rule Changes

Not had any issues with any of the rules so far.

5. Tracks

No issues here either. Perhaps the Novs could have more Papy tracks to lessen the learning curve? That said I enjoy the variety and more experienced Novs (if that's not an oxymoron) would probably not like that.

6. Other

A big thanks to all the moderators for giving up their time to run UKGPL. Since joining last autumn I've had a great time in this league, looking forward to trying to get that first win sometime soon.

Cheers,

Ross

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
Rick Nauman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 03:51:23 PM +0100 »

Some idea's for tracks - some I've driven and enjoyed, others have been recommended to me:

Long ones: ... Dundrod (I need an excuse to learn it!)

Only track I'd advise against.  Made it to the "don't ever use again" list in my last league.  Beautiful but many pitfalls.  Not good for actual racing.  Survival is a victory itself.
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:30 PM +0100 »

I did forget to comment on the potential rules change.

I think it would be sensible to bring something in as it's a bit of a grey area whether it is allowed or not.  I have not fallen victim to the issue highlighted yet, however I wouldn't want to either.  So I would be in favour of a rule to prevent weaving along straights.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 01:46:04 AM +0100 »

I did forget to comment on the potential rules change.

I think it would be sensible to bring something in as it's a bit of a grey area whether it is allowed or not.  I have not fallen victim to the issue highlighted yet, however I wouldn't want to either.  So I would be in favour of a rule to prevent weaving along straights.

Define weaving as opposed to breaking the tow.

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 07:47:45 AM +0100 »

as per OP.

Weaving to break the tow  Huh
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:58:21 AM +0100 by b_1_rd » Logged

Steve

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 10:06:45 AM +0100 »

I'm trying to stay objective on the "weaving" issue and how it could be monitored and policed but I can see a minefield ahead.

Just making a rule that says weaving is illegal IMHO won't work. As Steve has said, drivers need to know in black and white terms what IS ACCEPTABLE and what is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

If we introduce a ruling that "weaving" in an attempt to break a tow is illegal and will attract a penalty......what penalty is appropriate?
How far can you move sideways before it is deemed to be "weaving" ? ...25% of the track width?... 50% of the track width or does it only count when you move across the entire available tarmac width?.

When does that move become "defensive driving" which is allowed ? and how will you differentiate between the two? or do you ban defensive driving as well?

Because, as I understand things, the slipstream effect works ONLY when you are (almost) directly in line, so a single car width sideways move could be considered as a "weave" to deny the tow?

Or, is it to be determined by the  lateral movement off the "racing line"?, in which case whose racing line, because I know a few drivers who prepare their own "groove" which will differ from the Papyrus default which shows on the server.
Although I don't use a different groove file, I certainly do not religiously follow the default grey line, choosing instead to take the line that suits my style.
 Personally, I think the existing rule is adequate as described in the driving etiquette guidelines:-.

"Blocking is not allowed, but defensive driving is allowed. If a driver moves off the racing line before the car behind attempts to overtake, this is defensive driving. If they move off the racing line after the car behind has started to move across to overtake, this is blocking. If a driver is driving defensively they may move off the line and back onto it only once per straight/section".

Continously weaving around directly in front of another car to prevent them passing (which has nothing to do with slipstreaming) is clearly NOT acceptable as this would be "blocking" as described in the guidelines.

People have quoted the FIA rules in this discussion, but we still see F1 cars moving from side to side to blatantly block passing moves or deny slipstream, ( even pushing the passing car onto the grass!!) and recieve no penalties, so I don't see how cherry picking bits from the Real world can be considered relevant here.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 11:24:37 AM +0100 »

Well pointed out, Evil.

Personally I think it's nearly impossible to judge objectively whether someone is blocking or just breaking the tow. The most obvious situation of blocking is when someone moves across just before or during a braking zone. Another situation is when you're just about to exit someone's slipstream and they move to your direction when it's already too late to react. Anything else should be considered normal racing.

Then again, driver errors, connection issues, being unaware of the cars around you and similar aspects can complicate the whole thing a lot more and if you just penalize without taking all that into account it won't make people happy. Who is going to deal with all that? Sounds like a rather cumbersome and pointless task.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:26:08 AM +0100 by Hristo Itchov » Logged

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 08:42:24 PM +0100 »

I'd hate to be boring, but don't have much to disagree with, amongst mid-season comments.

I preferred Billy's Spec races, when they were only fun races.  You can only please some of the people, some of the time, but it's possible that when these become do or die, the 2nd grid dies.

'Tis in the nature of the beast, for 67s to have a large discrepancy between Grads. and newbies.  As
someone,'sitting on the fence,' about competing, I'd favor a more Novice approach to Privateers.  Assuming a split grid - the fear of damage encourages slower driving, and often leads to an early departure, when 'L' plater laps were needed.  It's fine for those damned showoffs, up front! Wink

I really like a couple of Evils suggested tracks.  Brno65 is well worth the trip around, but on-line
compatability should be checked.  Also, Blue Mountain is tremendous fun, and everyone should try it!

With many thanks to the volunteers of UKGPL, who keep the clockwork ticking - not only the cogs and
springs, but even the toggles!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:07:21 AM +0100 by maddog » Logged
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 09:13:12 AM +0100 »

I really like a couple of Evils suggested tracks.  

Ahem!
*mutter mutter mutter.....*  :'(
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 10:49:19 AM +0100 »

For once, Evil was not guilty of anything  Roll Eyes....... Although it would have been one to add IMHO.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 10:56:07 AM +0100 »

Having just had a sneaky go on it at work I think Mosport rain should be a big possibility! Beautiful to look at and great fun to slither around on  angel

Only downside I see is that I would imagine it to be a tad FPS heavy (the work pc only just manages a hold a steady 36 fps with it's awesome Radeon 7500!*)
Could be great fun for an Am's, Grad's, or maybe Historics race  Cool

edit:
On the subject of Historics - we really should use Monacane for them for added realism/massive accidents!

*Can you spot the irony?  Grin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:33:11 AM +0100 by FullMetalGasket » Logged
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 07:01:31 PM +0100 »

The 'mod report published' thing is working well already.  Thanks guys. Smiley

Steve

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 11:16:28 PM +0100 »

I really like a couple of Evils suggested tracks.  

Ahem!
*mutter mutter mutter.....*  :'(

Whoops!  Sorry Tim - I had assumed a different trackmeister, and bow to your exemplary recommendations. (note: long words hurt brain!)

Jack Sellers' graphics are great.  Hmm . . . think I'll try some fog at Mosport Rain, where a foggy brain might help?
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58:50 AM +0100 »

Comments about the Spec Races being more "organised" are noted and will be considered. Have to say there is no chance of Targa or Dunrod appearing on the Spec Race calendar at any stage. But feel free to post your favourites.

Connection to UKGPL7 server has been solid for me. Can I just check where we are in terms of contributing? Are we due another payment?

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com