Quarterly cost: �0

April 27, 2024, 05:02:38 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 19 - Mid Season Review  (Read 10553 times)
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2010, 08:42:30 PM +0100 »

3.2GHz each fankyouverrymuch  Grin

While GPL only uses the one, windows at least shifts to 1 or more of the others which has to be worth something  Smiley
TBH I've found very little improvement in performance as I've upgraded GFX cards from a Geforce4 through 7,8, and now the current ATI.
Don't think there's any real need for massively posh cards as GPL seems unable to profit from them  Sad
P&G mod on the otherhand......  angel
Samb
UKGPL Divisional Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2010, 11:15:45 PM +0100 »

You're making my 1.8Ghz Dual Core PC sounding remarkably archaic Tim!  Grin No Matter, I do plan a final upgrade before leaping onto Windows 7, which might just take my current PC up to 2.9Ghz if I can get hold of the CPU I want  Smiley.

Anywho, though I've joined a bit late in the game so can't really review this season, I'd like to suggest something for the Graduates cup. I've noticed that when we do run 2 grids, those in the Heavyweights class tend to have a select few that see the chequered flag with many casualties, to such an extent that only 1 or 2 drivers make it to the end.

To combat this, and perhaps allow the learning curve to ease a little when taming the 67 beasts, why not allow the Heavys a Shift R and a stop/go, like it was back in the Clubmans days. If we don't have the numbers for two grids, then stick with the Pro rules that the Light brigade will use. I just think that when the opportunity arises, those who are not a fan of the pro rules in the 67s, should allowed a little room for error.
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2010, 11:55:20 PM +0100 »

Anywho, though I've joined a bit late in the game so can't really review this season, I'd like to suggest something for the Graduates cup. I've noticed that when we do run 2 grids, those in the Heavyweights class tend to have a select few that see the chequered flag with many casualties, to such an extent that only 1 or 2 drivers make it to the end.

To combat this, and perhaps allow the learning curve to ease a little when taming the 67 beasts, why not allow the Heavys a Shift R and a stop/go, like it was back in the Clubmans days. If we don't have the numbers for two grids, then stick with the Pro rules that the Light brigade will use. I just think that when the opportunity arises, those who are not a fan of the pro rules in the 67s, should allowed a little room for error.

Seconded. smartass
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:57:33 PM +0100 by maddog » Logged
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2010, 07:28:35 AM +0100 »

as long as some drivers don't start to use stupid overtakes again as they know they can reset, then shift-r is a good option.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Al Heller
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2010, 11:31:02 AM +0100 »

One of the problems of allowing shift-R in Privateers is moderation - it'll mean some poor sod has to go through every race with a fine tooth comb... Who took a shift-R? Was that a no-fault reset or were they partially to blame? Did they take their Stop & Go pitstop within 3 laps? Did they actually stop when they took the Stop & Go? Etc, etc. Mike seems to have his work cut out doing that type of modding for the Novs.

G Jonsson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2010, 11:34:46 AM +0100 »

When it comes to the 60fps patch, no thanks! I never got it to work properly.

Göran
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2010, 12:57:48 PM +0100 »

One of the problems of allowing shift-R in Privateers is moderation - it'll mean some poor sod has to go through every race with a fine tooth comb...
Well at the moment that would be me.
TBH all I would do is check the GPLRA report for resets then check the driver loses a chunk of time for a stop in the following laps, if not would need to visually check.
I do like the idea of one stop ONLY allowed for Privates - gives you a life card but not multiple Sh/R's unlike the Novices...
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2010, 06:35:50 PM +0100 »

With  a lull in the action, I thought I might give a short talk, on the origins of handicapping in motor racing.

My Grandfather was a driver, from the earliest days of racing.  He built himself a racer, at his London garage.  He was a purveyor of petroleum distillates, and automobiles to those of breeding, and wealth.  The car I believe, was a Studebaker, which he stripped of all but essentials. The bodywork he created, was the latest in streamlining technology, made of the lightest of materials - some kind of wood, and shaped like a boat.  He raced at Brooklands, exactly 100 years ago, and with some success.

As cars of that time, were often homebuilt specials, and class rules were rudimentary, a method of ensuring close racing had to be devised.  The rules my grandfather fell under, were to simply have cars handicapped by time.  Each car would set off on a fixed number of laps, according to it's performance in previous races.

The art of racing falls under various categories, and the one pertaining to my Grandfathers success, eludes to his ability to do particularly well, after succumbing to several poor performances.  This was likely to have been the case for a number of the front runners.

Few people now realize, how prevalent betting was, in the years before the 2nd World War.
My Father attended many races at Brooklands, with his Dad, and usually took a camera with him. The paddock scenes look much like, what you'd expect to see at a horse race nowadays.  There were touters, and paraphernalia, and a large stanchion, which showed the latest odds, for the drivers competing in the next race.  It's possible there was even a circling ring, so that punters could listen to engines, and check the health of tyres, before the off.  This is something missing from modern tracks, as well as those in Legends.

If laying odds, I wonder how our various drivers would, 'stack up,' on a race by race basis?  There is intrigue lurking at UKGPL, in that I find we have a presumed tout, aliased under the name of BookieW. I'm not familiar with racing here, prior to my arrival, but wonder if competition had been making an aborted return to its roots.  Beware, the tax man cometh!   hammer                          

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:42:29 PM +0100 by maddog » Logged
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2010, 09:28:38 AM +0100 »

One thing of note – the starting grid was spread at 15 yard intervals – rather than the usual 9 yards. Bearing in mind my 67 race at Rouen ended in a Lap 1 pile up – I’d vote for the 15 yard gap on a regular basis.

As a matter of point - the 'Rumble in Rouen,' was not culminated by cars near the front of the grid.  It was those further back, who were too distant to see their impending doom.  Being closer, I was able to respond to the grim reaper, from a similar speed to the dastardly perpetrators.  A tighter grid may have avoided proliferating their, umm . . . mating dance.

It was quite normal, for drivers to line up 3 and 4 abreast in 1967, though their actual lives were on the line.  And I personally think that U.S.A. style rolling starts are a bit sissy.
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2010, 09:59:59 AM +0100 »

We couldn't have a blanket 15yard rule as not all grids allow the back of the grid to see the flag.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2010, 12:36:14 PM +0100 »

Just an observation or two here.

Even in modern F1, if you listen to driver interviews, The unwritten rule on starts is that, you DO NOT move until the car in front has moved. Wise words that IMHO work in GPL if you are mid grid or lower and usually the fraction of a second that you lose off the grid you make up at T1 as you will have a little more space to plan your braking and line whilst others compromise their speed in the usual melee.

Given the launch speeds of the modern projectiles I think this "self preservation" rule is still in use as we rarely (if ever) see a shunt on the grids. Of course there is the threat of pain and mutilation in RL as a deterrent, which given some of the carnage I have witnessed  is thankfully not fully modelled in GPL!! Shocked

The bigger the stagger, the greater the space and temptation to try and jump the car directly in front by weaving out around him. Whereas a tight grid, 3 abreast, does kind of encourage you to keep your car straight and true if you want to stay out of trouble??

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2010, 11:34:04 PM +0100 »

Fair point Evil. I had the impression we used the loose grids for GPL races (staggered start boxes) rather than 3 abreast to reduce the chance of incident line  pile ups. 15 yard gaps would increase the cushion.
Re. Mike's point - there are some tracks e.g. Mosport where (correct me if I'm wrong) you can't see the green flag with the 9 yard gaps if you are near the back (my usual position)
Whatever the outcome suggest we have a consistant grid arrangement.
... Bill

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2010, 12:03:05 AM +0100 »

Fair point Evil. I had the impression we used the loose grids for GPL races (staggered start boxes) rather than 3 abreast to reduce the chance of incident line  pile ups. 15 yard gaps would increase the cushion.
Re. Mike's point - there are some tracks e.g. Mosport where (correct me if I'm wrong) you can't see the green flag with the 9 yard gaps if you are near the back (my usual position)
Whatever the outcome suggest we have a consistant grid arrangement.
... Bill
Easier said then done - we tend to use Paul Jackson's 1x1 staggered grids. If you want to change them you'll have to play with the track.ini settings...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com