Quarterly cost: �0

April 28, 2024, 04:58:52 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 20 - Preparation  (Read 4641 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:53:33 PM +0100 »

As we approach the end of Season 19 we need to start thinking about Season 20.  UKGPL is in a fairly good state, we have a good moderating team, a core membership of enthusiastic drivers, stable rules, a varied choice of handicapping formats, a comprehensive league programme utilising all the car sets (OK I admit it is minimal for the 69 cars), a reliable server arrangement with Team T7 and last (but very definitely not least) a comfortable home on SRou.  In fact there isn’t much that needs changing for Season 20 so now is a good time for a change at the top.  At the end of this season I’ll be stepping down as Chief Mod and relinquishing my moderating duties; after seven seasons as Chief Mod and two seasons as a divisional moderator before that, it’s time for someone else to take over.  It will be up to the new Chief Mod to decide how to run things but the option to maintain the status quo is there.

Having said all that, there are a couple of things I want to do before I step down (I’ll still be racing so you won’t get rid of me altogether).  

Conduct a poll on a proposed change to the rules.  At the mid-season review the only change to the rules that was discussed was a proposed revision to the “weaving and blocking” rule.  We didn’t arrive at a definitive solution so I’ll set up a poll to gauge driver opinion.  If the majority are in favour we’ll amend the “weaving and blocking” rule for Season 20.

Arrange an election for the Season 20 Moderating Staff.  UKGPL is a pretty democratic club but not everything is transparent as it might be.  We have a private moderator’s forum to allow discussion and refinement of moderating reports, but it doesn’t mean there is any back room "wheeling and dealing" going on.  So to show everything is open we will have an election for the Season 20 moderating posts.  That means all the jobs are up for grabs including the Chief Moderator and Membership Secretary.  In keeping with most clubs, each volunteer will need a proposer and a seconder before their name can be entered as a candidate.  We don’t have a massive membership so individuals can propose themselves.  The terms of reference for each of the moderating staff posts are defined here.  Having read through all that, I’d be surprised if we had a mass of volunteers.  Given that most of the current moderating staff are happy to stay on, each election may turn out to be a one horse race but if that is the case it will still serve as a vote of confidence for the incumbent.  So if you want to propose anyone (including yourself) for any of the UKGPL Moderating Staff positions for Season 20 please post an entry on this thread.

CANDIDATES FOR SEASON 20 MODERATING STAFF

PostCandidateProposerSeconder
Chief ModeratorVosblod (Tim Claydon)miner2049er (Mike James)Goran Jonsson
Membership Secretaryb_1_rd (Steve Bird)Billy NobrakesVosblod (Tim Claydon)
League Administratorminer2049er (Mike James)Phil ThorntonVosblod (Tim Claydon)
Divisional Moderator *miner2049er (Mike James)Billy NobrakesVosblod (Tim Claydon)
Billy NobrakesVosblod (Tim Claydon)miner2049er (Mike James)
FullMetalGasket (Tim Muttram)Vosblod (Tim Claydon)Goran Jonsson
Syd DrakeBilly NobrakesPhil Thornton
Goran JonssonBilly NobrakesAl Heller
Turkey Machine (Jethro)Turkey Machine (Jethro)
Assistant Moderator**Vacant

*  Need one per division
**  Ideally one per divison but not essential (other moderators can usually cover)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:44:00 PM +0100 by Phil Thornton » Logged
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:47:09 PM +0100 »

As I've already said to you Phil it is sad to see you step down, you have been a great Chief Mod and we'll miss your experience. That said I understand your reasons and am glad you will still be racing with us.

From my position I am happy being Membership Secretary but am also happy to step up and fill the role of Chief Mod unless a more senior driver is keen.

Not sure if I'll get seconded but maybe I should tell you my ethos as to how things should go (is this a manifesto ??);
First and foremost I think UKGPL has stood eleven years because we have a reputation for good clean racing which is backed up by the application of rules. I think I share Phil's view in that the rules are primarily intended to help drivers improve and the onus should remain as guidance first, I'm against too many rules complicating things. The way they are applied now seems to be the right balance.
As to my experience, I know I can never fill Phil's shoes but I think I am fair and adept when reviewing incidents. That said, even after two years, I don't carry the longevity some might want so would propose appointing a sort of senior consultant moderator to utilise as a wise owl, so to speak, with more complex moderating issues and appeals. Yes the Chief Mod should have the final say but with consultation.
UKGPL wise I agree with Phil, in general things are working well so I would propose a similar set up for next season with perhaps a few tweaks depending on membership feedback.

Commitment wise to UKGPL I hope my record speaks for itself.

Anyway, all that said, if anyone long serving and level headed with the experience has the time, and is keen, I'm happy to make way and continue my existing role - unless anyone wants that  Wink
With Phil stepping down I feel there is a vacancy for another Moderator so, even if you don't want to be Chief Mod or Membership Sec, if you could spare a very small amount of time for moderating duties that would be good.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:21:38 PM +0100 by vosblod » Logged
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:57:55 AM +0100 »

Based on your commitment rather than your driving skill I would second you Tim, so you are now a fully fledged applicant.

I will not be "applying" for the role myself but will continue to do the moderation I currently do.

Just to add, anybody thinking of stepping up to moderation, your division will be reported incidents only so you would not inherit a huge workload, though you are "expected" to review incidents from other divisions as part of the panel.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:43:03 AM +0100 »

I'd be willing to become a mod.  Smiley
First election promise would be to put Hristo in a pedal kart for all series I have control over... MUhhaaahaaahaa  Grin

Seriously though I be happy to try this modding lark.
G Jonsson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 10:07:35 AM +0100 »

I second you Tim (FMG), nice to have a Black Nighter upstairs, and I support your run for Chief Mod as well Tim (Vosblod).

Göran
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:08:11 AM +0100 »

First a word of thanks to Phil for the great job he has done at the helm of UKGPL over the past few years. Don't be surprised if you get the odd request for help from ongoing mod team.
Second can I second Mike James to continue as divsional moderator. Although he hasn't been on track much this year he has stuck diligently to the task of moderating the Novices league for Season 19.
If you are considering applying for a role - it does require reasonly good understanding of computer technology but, above all else, you have to commit time.
Personally I'm happy to volunteer to stay on in the Mod team to oversee the Spec Races (assuming we run the same format next season) & respresent the slow drivers at the back of the grid.
... Bill

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 11:24:08 AM +0100 »

I'm taking it the existing moderators don't need to propose themselves and will go into the pot anyway if they just want to continue with their existing role.
Either way I second you Bill, you're doing a great job with the Spec Races. I also think other Tim (FMG) would be a great addition to the moderating team.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:13:45 PM +0100 »

Sad to see you step down from the grand chief position, Phil, you've been doing an awesome job. For me this is the best GPL league atm and for the last couple of years, and that's much down to the way you were running things.

I would've liked to help with any administration functions, but this is impossible at the moment, life's too busy and I can barely just turn up for the races without any practice.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 12:17:55 PM +0100 »

I think we all owe Phil a huge round of applause for his years of work for UKGPL, both behind the scenes and "front of house".
The rest of the modding team have done a great job and I have no objection to them continuing.

If needed I can offer my services for moderating, but I think my CV shows that I cannot be trusted with servers and things technical. Roll Eyes.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 07:25:19 PM +0100 »

Thanks for the kind words gents thumbup2

I'll update the first post in this thread with the candidates, proposers and seconders.

Pleased to see we have plenty of enthusiasm so given that many hands make light work things are looking good for Season 20 Grin  I can retire contented  wheelchair
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:19 PM +0100 »

I was thinking that your move was more of a short sabbatical?  Roll Eyes  Wink Grin

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 09:55:57 PM +0100 »

I have no problems being a divisional moderator if needs be. I'll more than likely not be racing in as many divisions next season anyway so should be able to at least be sociable around work!!!

EDIT: Nice amount of posts you have evil. Good round number!!! Grin
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:58:57 PM +0100 by Turkey Machine » Logged

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 10:49:26 PM +0100 »

EDIT: Nice amount of posts you have evil. Good round number!!! Grin

Let's hope he stops posting so he keeps the number.  Cheesy

Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 12:38:18 AM +0100 »

Not 100% sure if existing moderators are guranteed their place but I should mention that Syd Drake does a quiet but efficient job in the 66 Division.
If additional staff are required I would propose Goran has a possible candidate. He is a regular & level headed driver.
.... Bill

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 12:51:58 AM +0100 »

If additional staff are required I would propose Goran as a possible candidate. He is a regular & level headed driver.
Well Goran is pretty new but I think he has gone from strength to strength and is level headed. Another contender in my opinion, so if I'm allowed to second twice he's seconded...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com