Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 08:13:42 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S20N Albi: February 22, 2011
February 22, 2011, 09:42:39 PM +0000 - Albi (1959-80) - UKGPL Season 20 (2010-2011) Novices Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Artiglietti

Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 1 1:15.387
---
1 38:24.674
---
30 1:15.834
---
Dunlop  
Ronniepeterson

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 4 +0.686
---
2 +5.854
---
30 1:16.249
---
Dunlop  
Ross Neilson
 Clark-Hill Racing
Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +0.643
---
3 +27.824
---
30 1:16.243
---
Dunlop  
miner2049er
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 7 +1.346
---
4 +41.228
---
30 1:17.164
---
Dunlop  
norbert
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 6 +1.207
---
5 +48.575
---
30 1:17.131
---
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 11 +1.892
---
6 +1:01.945
---
30 1:17.304
---
Dunlop  
blito
 Nessuna Speranza
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 15 +2.282
---
7 +1:12.517
---
30 1:17.425
---
Dunlop  
il_lupo_mannaro
 Black Night Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 5 +0.968
---
8 (+12) +1L
---
29 1:16.471
---
Dunlop  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.585
---
9 +6.322
---
29 1:16.989
---
Goodyear  
maddog
 Antipasti Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 12 +2.183
---
10 (+2) +9.273
---
29 1:17.367
---
Dunlop  
karlisss

Honda RA272 F1 1965 9 +1.488
---
11 (+6) +24.128
---
29 1:16.705
---
Goodyear  
Nigel Smith
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 13 +2.236
---
12 (+3) +24.384
---
29 1:17.452
---
Goodyear  
happyal
 Clark-Hill Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 8 +1.447
---
13 +24.841
---
29 1:17.527
---
Dunlop  
BadBlood
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 14 +2.267
---
14 +1:04.249
---
29 1:18.104
---
Goodyear  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 10 +1.685
---
15 +16L
---
14 1:17.166
---
Dunlop  
5 UKGPL.65

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 16 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

Albi proved very popular among drivers and they have asked for a swift return there. A simple track to learn but a difficult one to master, where a few tenths can mean starting at the wrong end of the grid.

We saw some incidents involving the first graduates from the Jethro Walters School Of Motoring, but hopefully they will follow their mentor's example by learning from their mistakes and penalties and improving their online race craft as Jethro has.

The enjoyable race has left everybody eager for the final showdown at Adelaide. As long as there is not a political revolt in the meantime that is.

Server replay time: 0h00m40s

Nigel moves to the left at the start and collects Paul.
Nigel can at no time see Paul in his mirrors, but knowing that a car has started on that side of the grid behind him, the car must be alongside so he should keep to his own side of the grid.

Server replay time: 0h00m50s

Fabio follows Norm and Ross to T1, but Norm lifts to follow Ross through rather than run around the outside of him.
Fabio appears to attempt a pass as he closes on Norm but he has no overlap and should have lifted to follow Norm.
Fabio clips Norm's right rear and spins him before being warped from the track.
Norm was slow on entry even though this was Lap 1 so I have mitigated that by removing one of the Penalty places from the very ambitious overtake rule because it was still Fabio's responsibility to avoid a collision having seen Norm and Ross battling for the corner.

Server replay time: 0h00m58s

Blito stays right to avoid the collision between Nigel and Paul.
Paul rejoins and can barely hear Blito alongside into T1.
As soon as Blito appears in his view Paul takes avoiding action but Blito seems to feel a contact and hits the stricken Norm.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h02m50s

Blito appears to be lining up a pass on paul at Double Droite but Paul is unpredictable on the brakes.
He appears to block but it is a loss of control under braking which fortunately Blito manages to avoid.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h03m10s

Martin attempts to pass Alistair on the inside at Virage Du Parc but he has no hope of making the pass successfully coming from so far back and having no overlap at all.
Martin had attempted a pass at Double Droite a few seconds earlier which he actually made until he ran out of track.
Alistair was always going to take the racing line and had every right to it.

Server replay time: 0h03m55s

Paul runs wide through T1 and is slow on the grass but recovers without spinning.
Blito had been following him closely and has now moved past, so when Paul retakes the track he moves to the racing line where Blito is.
Paul should have expected Blito to be there having seen him following him up to the incident.
The server shows no contact and Paul's car reacts violently suggesting warp is involved.
Only Paul was affected.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h15m20s

Alistair is defending his position from an eager Blito while Fabio keeps a close eye on proceedings.
Alistair turns in to the final turn but Blito has got alongside in a valid passing attempt and he has actually got his nose in front at turn in.
Al may have been confused when he could still see a Ferrari in his mirrors but this was Fabio.

Server replay time: 0h19m10s

Vosblod attempts to pass Karliss at Virage Du Parc and the 2 collide.
Karliss is recovering from a slide at Double Droite and is getting back up to speed allowing Vosblod to get alongside. Vosblod keeps a tight line but Karliss turns in to him and takes the racing line where Vosblod is.
Karliss can see Vosblod in his mirrors on the straight leading up to the corner and moves over to leave him room.
When they reach the braking zone and the corner Karliss can no longer see Vosblod but he can hear him so he must be alongside and he should leave him room or risk a collision.
This incident shows the importance of being able to take a corner using alternate lines as in a race you cannot be sure of being on the racing line all of the time. It also shows the importance of being aware of what is around you, using sound as well as sight to learn where other cars are.

• karlisss (Karlisss-65)penalty — Simple Side By Side Contact — 1 place lost (plus 5 for penalty points)

Server replay time: 0h27m05s

Fabio attempts to pass Karliss in to Virage Du Parc but the two collide and spin.
Fabio has no overlap at turn in and comes from a long way back.
The fact that he can lap more quickly than Karliss at this stage of the race has no bearing on the incident and Karliss had every right to take the racing line.

Server replay time: 0h31m05s

Nigel passes Alistair around the outside of Double Droite and the 2 collide.
Alistair keeps a tight line through the fist and second apex but drifts wide on the exit and collects Nigel.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h39m00s

Martin once again demonstrates his prowess at running out of fuel before the final corner.
Luckily this time he manages to take his Stop n Go before finishing the race.

• Racing incident

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 20 (2010-2011) Novices Trophy (65) - Albi (1959-80) - Feb 22  (Read 11821 times)
Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 10:44:52 AM +0000 »

Mod out already, I think this needs to be kicked up.
karlisss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 12:26:06 PM +0000 »

some question about Ppoints cos seems i dont understund how it works
1. if i have no PP at all and i do error with my fault i recieve 1 place lost + some PP for the future,right? (how much PP ?)
2. if i have some PP (less than 10), then if i do the same error i will recieve 1 place lost + some places lost(how much places it is? ), cos i allready have a PP in my past. right?
3. if i have more than 10PP then with the same error i will recieve 1place lost+ many places lost by PP, right?
4. what amount excatly it is, for no pp at all, with <5,<10, >10 etc....
5. if i have >10PP and do 2errors or 3, then seems, no point to race at all, cos there will be 3place lost by 3 incidents + 3 x many places lost by PP....
6. if i have 13PP and want to do race without places lost and with small error (what allways happens) i must wait 6month till my PP will expire?
7. otherwise some day i will have 20PP and when will be fighting for P1 during final lap, and will do error, i will be in last place?
can someone explain?
thanks

GPLrank67 +39.5
GPLrank65 +44.5
http://www.karlisvitols.com
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 01:10:55 PM +0000 »

There's an example of how yellow cards (penalty points) operate here ; https://www.ukgpl.com/index.php/rules/yellow_card_example
You will see from the championship tables they apply separately in each division but can be accumulated for the purposes of racing bans, another example; https://www.ukgpl.com/index.php/rules/auto_race_ban_example

For next season, at the start, you will have no points showing next to you in the division tables but they will stay on your driver history until expiry. If there is a continuing accumulation of yellows all current unexpired penalty points can be taken into account when looking at ways to resolve a problem. As I have mentioned before bans are not taken lightly and factors to include are that the Novices are fully moderated, so will naturally incur more penalties, plus a drivers willingness to address any recurring issues.
Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 01:21:30 PM +0000 »

Karlisss, we already had this discussion, you can still have a look at it in the thread of this season novices' race at Zandvoort.

In my understanding it works like this:

1) A penalty can consist of 1,2 or 3 lost places, depending on what infraction you have committed. You can check them out here https://www.ukgpl.com/index.php/rules/penalties ; if you click on the link to 'typical examples' for each kind of infraction, you will find a more detailed description of the penalty plus the number of places you lose for that specific infraction (for example, for the 'side by side contact': https://www.ukgpl.com/index.php/rules/side_by_side)

2) PPs are awarded in a simple way: you get 2 for each penalty (regardless of the infraction and the amount of places lost). You get 1 for each warning. No PPs for cautions. You can see this stated here: https://www.ukgpl.com/index.php/rules/yellow_card_example

3) Every 2 PPs above 2 you have, a place lost is added to your penalty: if you have 3 PPs, in the case you get a 1 place lost penalty you dont lose any positions for PPs; if you have 4 PPs, and get the same 1place lost penalty, 1 place lost is added to the tally for PPs; 5 penalty points will only add 1 place lost to whatever penalty, but 6 will add 2. This is explained in the link I have added in 2).

4)You are right, once you have piled up many PPs, every tiny wrongdoing is going to result in a massive amount of places lost. Unfortunately the implications of this often become clear only once you went through the process of amassing PPs and the damage has been done. Its a thing to bear in mind for next season.

5) The system is devised in order to promote safe racing and blah blah blah. The point is  though, you dont get penalised if you make proper mistakes, like losing the car, even if you end up collecting people when you spin, unless you were doing something extremely reckless. So, the name of the game is to put your mind to it, clarify what you can and cannot do and avoid risky moves, even if this somewhat limits your side by side racing for a while. I agree that this system can produce a rather 'schematic' racing, where you end up making certain moves to clarify you are driving within the rules, but thats the way the league works and it is not easy to find that fine line anyway.   

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 01:28:42 PM +0000 »

I don't think the system limits you to how you can conduct your racing against others. It simply prohibits overagressive moves which invade the space other drivers and either ends up in contact, or has them take evasive action to avoid contact.

I've had countless close, side by side racing and there was rarely a problem, as long as everyone sticks to their lines and doesn't make sudden moves and change of direction. You need to make sure that, whatever you do against other drivers, they are aware of your presence around them so they can act accordingly. Of course the responsibility goes both ways, so at the same time drivers should try to be as much aware as possible of what goes around them.

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2011, 03:05:08 PM +0000 »

Karliss,

The point is that you can drive without getting penalties and still get a result. You have to give way and not get in the way of faster drivers carelessly as it ruins their race. I would have finished ahead of Nigel if I hadn't ceded to Ross as he was coming through but in letting him through I lost too much time and allowed Nigel and Alistair to catch me. My fault, but better than driving to win and then being penalised for ignoring blue flags.

You need to modify your driving so that you develop an awareness of where other cars are or may be. Demonstrate to the Moderator that you are driving in a co-operative manner and trying to learn from mistakes will lead to less penalties since you may find that incidents that you are largely to blame for are treated as racing incidents as the relative skill levels are sometimes a mitigating factor.

Nobody tries to crash but sometimes you need to drive to positively avoid a crash.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2011, 03:34:46 PM +0000 »

Yes, I didnt mean the rules make the racing schematic, I meant that once you have amassed many yellow card points, you may want to make sure not only to be within the rules, but that this is clear to read for the moderator. This should be the norm of course, but when a single warning can net you 5 lost places you may be compelled to give it that bit of additional attention.

Especially if you are driving in the midfield, losing 5 or more places can well put you in the position where you are better off parking it, since you will end last anyway. Unless you want to stay on for the fun of the racing. But you could end up getting a braking point wrong there, and that means...er...penalty points... Roll Eyes? You have to bear in mind that in Novices all collisions are moderated, and you might end up with a penalty even if the guy you hit goes on unscathed and you are the one going on a spin. Whereas in the other divisions, this kind of contact would end up unreported, and in general you have to p..s off the other guy enough for him to be bothered filing a report.

Incidentally, the rule of keeping yourself on your half of the road at all times, which is consistently applied in Novices, does make the racing a bit artificial, compared to racing on real tracks. Same goes for the 'not driving in the middle of the road' rule, or even the 'simple blocking' rule. Especially the defensive manoeuvres are very much limited in online league racing.  I am not saying any of these rules are wrong, I am just stating what I think is a fact of life. I am perfectly aware we already have enough collisions with these rules in place, there is certainly no scope in loosening them.

My 2 pence advise to Karliss would be: when you have someone you are racing around 1) draw a mental line through the road ahead and stick to your half, if you do so, even if a collision occurs, you are usually in the right; 2) pick a line and stick to it on the straights; 3) extra careful when rejoining, even at the cost of losing a position; 4) never, under any circumstances, tap someone from behind, because the rules say thats always your fault.

Now, before anyone says anything, I know I often forget to take advantage of that good advice myself whilst racing, thats why I have a discreet tally of yellow cards myself   Cool. But I am home recovering from a flu today, so I have decided to temporarily take on the position of 'good advice dispenser', just to kill time. Tongue

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:35:13 PM +0000 by Artiglietti » Logged
il_lupo_mannaro

Ciao, Sic! #58

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2011, 07:00:55 PM +0000 »

I'm pleased to welcome Fabio to the ranks of Black Night Racing.

I've seen better debuts........  Grin Grin Grin

Anyway, I'm still contending for the Penalty Points title... death

Fabio Locarno
---------------------------------------------
GPLRank +20.138
Monster of GPLRank +548.907
ChallengeRank +187.387
GPL65Rank +59.222
SadSadSadSadSad
-----------------------
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 08:52:39 PM +0000 »

Anyway, I'm still contending for the Penalty Points title... death

You are in a class of your own in that one Fabio  laugh

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
karlisss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 09:20:55 PM +0000 »

ok, will try to remember that during RACE HEAT .
also before Adelaide some questions:

since Adelaide in my opinoin is very very hard track, and more harder if you want to be fast,
how to stay in one side of track especialy in split1 and split2, where racing line goes from one side to other side during short straights and tight corners... i dont see the meaning of it ,if attacking car is not 3 sec faster per lap.
your opinons?

also "Hakkinen95" corner, entering in in it from right side, means to loose some 1sec per lap + high risk to fly over curbs in Mika stile...
your opinions?

also T1 snake is totaly insane corner.. so how to react if during last corner i dont gain max speed and car behind goes in right me and puts front wheel besides my rear right wheel, how i must react in sportmanship whay? cos car didnt pass me, for taking T1 snake i need outside line, do i must stay at my left side? if so, then i will loose a place, cos i must HARD brake before snake to go through it from left side.also i can cause a car spin.. WHAT TO DO?

also in first section if i go on right side and car besides me in left, but didnt pass me jet, should i must let it pass, cos otherwise i can cause collision from my narrow right turn angle?

in Hakkinen95 corner, if i am in front of car, but during wide corner entering i fly over the curb loosing control in high speed and i am avoiding to brake hard, cos dont want to end up in wall, by this time rear car goes almost beside me. There is a narrow space where if you are lucky after flyght over curbs you can reenter on track (also do this area counts as outside track or inside track, cos curbs going in middle of street... but somewhere i reeded that all aphalt parts of Adelaide are in track) so, i must reenter, but car infront of me, other side (left) is whal... i cant think out at that moment to brake, cos for me in high speed it means SPIN+crash...(actualy i dont know what i will think out at that moment this is example)
What is the CORRECT way to do for me in this situation?

i see the best place in Adelaide where overtake a hairpin at the end of straight. also a place where to let pass in correct way laping cars.

i am just wondering, cose bether to get answers on these questions before race, than explanations after race...

asking all this cos seem only victory for me in this season is penalty point standings....(shame)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:26:45 PM +0000 by karlisss » Logged

GPLrank67 +39.5
GPLrank65 +44.5
http://www.karlisvitols.com
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 10:10:36 PM +0000 »

You should've shown up for the 65 Adelaide practice we just had in BREASTS, Karlisss. You could search and download previous 65 Adelaide races we had in UKGPL and see how it worked out.

Anyway, it's rare that someone would be crazy enough to enter those narrow sections side by side, unless it's a leading car vs. a backmarker. It's possible in the slower bits, but not at the corner you mention. One of the cars should obviously lift up and slot behind the other, and wait for the long straight to make a pass.

You don't really have to make plans for all those possible scenarios. Just do what you feels as the most common sense and avoid hitting other cars or getting into their path once they commit to a line. It comes with experience.

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 10:52:35 PM +0000 »

Hristo is right, anybody thinking about passing you from the last corner along the straight and into T1 would need to be past by T1 or back out of it, it is not a good place to pass, but if they are lapping you there, then you can help by lifting off the throttle for half a second or so, you can do that in most places. Anybody quick enough to lap you will either do it on their own or just need a little help from you but not too much to ruin your own battle.

The first sector, yes the racing line changes from one side to the other, so if somebody gets alongside you on the right, they should stay on the right and you should stay on the left until one is past the other, then you can go back to the racing line. As you say this is slower than the racing line, but that is the same in real racing. 2 cars battling will be slower than 1 car on its own. That is not a mistake on your part, that is just a fact. You cannot always have the racing line during a race and not every lap in a race will be a fast lap. Like Schumacher used to demonstrate, to win a race you only have to be very fast at the right time.

If you are practising driving off the racing line your lap times will not be as fast as hot laps but it is a skill you need to learn for when you need it.

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 11:30:33 PM +0000 »

I didn't mean T1, but the fast right-hand kick on top of the hill before the long straight, which I think Karliss meant as well (the one where Hakkinen had his bad accident in '95). But yeah, you're right about T1 as well, it's rather quick in these cars. Basically, the longer the braking distance into a corner, the safer it is to go for a pass there.

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, 12:36:14 AM +0000 »

Don't cut the right hand curb at the second part of T1 - you will, more often than not roll it. If a faster car is following you in that early part of the lap it is difficult to let them past easily without losing bags of time but if you are getting blue flags you have no choice - know where they are and hold a predictable line and maybe lift off. The faster car will be able to get past with their superior control and speed. I agree - this is a hard track but it is easy to overdrive it - you need to be patient. Plenty of room to pass on the last part of the lap but at the early part you will have to listen and live in your mirrors. I am dreading it! (and looking forward to it!)

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2011, 02:11:05 AM +0000 »

Paul, cutting the second part of T1, the right-hander IS CRUCIAl to a good lap time. Of course, I don't mean riding it with all 4 wheels, but climbing it fairly high nonetheless. Just wait until I post my track guide and you'll see.  Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com