Quarterly cost: �0

April 29, 2024, 03:26:50 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
Forthcoming
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: GT fun series Race 2 at Monza 25th Feb  (Read 6160 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2011, 12:57:07 PM +0000 »

I have no problem in allowing drivers a free choice for any further races Steve.

It is just that human nature being what it is ( and added to that the competition element amongst the petrol heads here!!) I think we wil end up with a few "favoured" cars dominating the grids. Lolas, 2F's and Fezzas? If everyone drives a 2F the aliens will still win, and I think us lesser mortals might find our races a little less interesting?

My purpose in organising this short series, was to gain some understanding of all of the chassis in order to formulate a system that could promote fun and racing right through the grid. We have gained a lot of info from these races and I hope that will help everyone enjoy better competition in the future, but I think there are still some areas where things are still a little hazy at the moment.

I certainly do not want to impose any format on people just because I think it is what we should be doing , otherwise we would have seen Chapp 2F's spending a lot more time in the pits!!!! ( we still might as an experiment!!   Grin).

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2011, 01:01:57 PM +0000 »

Happy to stay in the Porsche for further testing.....aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Lets face it I already know that whatever other car I jump into I'm gonna be faster. On the subject of tracks that might suit the Porsche, I would ignore it, its a distraction you can do without. As I think Hristo said and I agree, any future GT series will probably not include the Porsche because of its omission or drivers simply not taking it if available. While I would love to see these cars vying for speed demon on the long straights of Carthage 35 I expect other might find that boring so my vote would be for St-Jovite. Straights, fast sweeping bends and more importantly wide enough for these cars to race on and good visibility ahead. Thanks again for great organisation of the testing of this series. Its appreciated.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2011, 01:18:31 PM +0000 »

I have no problem in allowing drivers a free choice for any further races Steve.

It is just that human nature being what it is ( and added to that the competition element amongst the petrol heads here!!) I think we wil end up with a few "favoured" cars dominating the grids. Lolas, 2F's and Fezzas? If everyone drives a 2F the aliens will still win, and I think us lesser mortals might find our races a little less interesting?

My purpose in organising this short series, was to gain some understanding of all of the chassis in order to formulate a system that could promote fun and racing right through the grid. We have gained a lot of info from these races and I hope that will help everyone enjoy better competition in the future, but I think there are still some areas where things are still a little hazy at the moment.

I certainly do not want to impose any format on people just because I think it is what we should be doing , otherwise we would have seen Chapp 2F's spending a lot more time in the pits!!!! ( we still might as an experiment!!   Grin).

I don't think Steve meant free car choice, but making each drivers to have to use each of the cars once during a season (which probably means number of races = number of different cars?). That would probably lead to spec or near-spec races, but at least we won't see Porsches being run on tracks like Monza.

blito
UKGPL Asst Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2011, 04:36:39 PM +0000 »

I really like Steve`s idea. I would definitely be up for some of that.
More practise races please Mr Clive... and thank you for the points ruling Smiley

Jason Blito
Podkrecony_Ziutek

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2011, 04:39:23 PM +0000 »

New tracks: I would suggest to try one or two fast tracks like Spa, Carta, Daytona, Le Mans etc. Maybe those tracks would show us Fords speed Wink

As for Rolling Starts:

From my experience with those starts I would suggest to stay with single row. That's because when we have single row, we need to concentrate on a car in front of us. With two rows we need to concentrate on both cars in front of us but also on the car on our left/right.

I would also suggest that warming the tires should be banned. I'm not talking about this because of what happened in this race Wink Before I've found GPL I was racing at Simracing.pl in F1'79 league(GPC mod for rfactor). We had a warming lap there and most guys were warming their tires, engines and brakes on that warming lap. That often was causing spins and accidents. I'm not racing there anymore(because I prefer GPL Wink ) but from what I know warming was banned because of that incidents.

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2011, 05:31:23 PM +0000 »

Well despite the pile up on the warm-up lap most people seem keen enough to give the rolling start idea another go.  If we do, I suggest we follow Pod's advice and don't allow drivers to weave about warming tyres.  Just concentrate on getting a clean start.

We haven't discussed the PRO rules yet.  It didn't have the desired effect on the Chaps at the front (i.e. forcing them to slow down) but it prevented Natan getting a start through no fault of his own.  He got rear ended on the warm up and it wrecked his engine.  We were only drivers in GT 40s and I was looking forward the chasing after him.  He was a bit quicker than me but with the slip stream I might have been able to stay with him.  As it was I didn't have anybody to dice with for the entire race  Sad.

Some more fun races would be great, Le Mans and Nurby would be excellent but are we going to go back to the single shift R rule?  Oh and no rolling start at Nurby please,  Staying in formation for a whole lap would be impossible LOL  Roll Eyes
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2011, 05:58:05 PM +0000 »

I don't think you can draw a conclusion on the reliability of the cars. It really depends on how the driver treats them and not so much on the track or Pro rules. As long as you don't overrev by speed-shifting or changing down too early under braking, and not push too much in the opening laps with cold oil temperature, any car can be made to last.

As for the weaving, sure, it's not like it helps that much, but I still insist we come to some agreement on the pace at which the leading car should be going and the minimum distance between each car. It's really bothersome to have someone glued to your back and possibly rearend you if you choose to decelerate, and at the same time, it's bad if the car in front of you lets those in front of him/her open up too much of a gap. And I agree with Pod, single file formation is easier and safer in the sense that you only need to look forward and in your mirrors.

Regarding my own race, it was a very difficult one because Juha was unexpectedly very fast in the race, despite losing the pole by half a second. Even though I was able to stay in front after the start, he was immediately on the attack and managed to pass me once or twice, but the slipstream allowed me to return the favor very soon after.

It became obvious that he had superior acceleration and thus top speed, but I was slightly quicker through the slower corners, so we were pretty much equally paced. Still early in the race we came upon two backmarkers, one of them a Porsche I think, and I got distracted by keeping my eyes on the other car as it went off at Parabolica, so I followed into the gravel but at a lower speed.

I was back on the track in 3-4 seconds and started pushing to the limit to make up the lost time. It didn't took long before I was into Juha's slipstream again, but I didn't realize I had picked up so much speed going into Curva Grande behind him and went off into the armco, getting forced to slow down to try and detach from sliding alongside it. It didn't work out, so I kept riding it at low speed until the end of the corner.

By that time Juha had pulled away and the gap was about 5 seconds. I thought I would be able to close it up relatively easy again, but Juha went up another gear and it proved to be nearly impossible to catch him!

The gap went down to 3 seconds after a couple of laps, but then Juha went quicker than me and the gap grew up back to 4 and stabilized there for a while. I had almost lost hope for any chance of victory at that moment, but kept pushing anyway, hoping he would make some mistake.

With about 12 laps to go the gap began to go down steadily by about 2-3 tenths a lap, and once I managed to catch the slipstream properly, I could close up even quicker. We had a few small issues with backmarkers at this point, which probably worked a bit better in my favour, but time was running out!

With 3 to go I managed to pass Juha and take the lead, but knowing his superior straightline pace, it was far from over. On the penultimate lap he attacked me on the exit of Ascari, but I kept the outside line going into Parabolica, braked late and went around the outside on the exit, thus getting a faster exit, so I kept the lead.

The plan was to do the same on the last lap, but I needed to have a really good exit off Lesmo 2 to prevent Juha from passing me completely before we reached Parabolica. It almost didn't work out and I had to brake really late for Para, but once into the corner I managed to maximize my acceleration and exit it still in the lead. There was not enough time for Juha to pass me before the s/f line, so I won by just over a tenth!

A very exciting race and I must thank Juha for the tough but fair fight! I'm also finally relieved to win a race without getting DQ for not making a stop/go for shift-r, lol. And I suppose Oranges are victories points-wise as well.  Grin

-=Hristo=-

jhalli

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2011, 06:01:05 PM +0000 »

good fun races , thanks for Evil for organizing  Grin

Hristo was setting his poletime ofcourse and i was 0.5 seconds behind setting my new chap2f pb , no wonder that all top 3 drivers driving Chaps,just fast car on fast tracks.Maybe we can use combination of fast and slow tracks next official season? like Brands Hatch, Reims ,Monza-junior,Le Mans,Keimola.

rolling start was good idea, i know everybody can do it better next time.
good clean warm-up lap for me with some tire warming,  wonder how Axel Cookie disappeared from my mirrors on warm-up lap? Tongue
i was hoping top3 places to all chaps. laugh

Race was close battle with Hristo changing 1st position now and then,  i believed i could win the race when Hristo slide off at Parabolica but he managed to get his speed and catch me 10-15 laps later.Somewhere there was slow Porche? ;)on Lesmos and i lose even more time and finally lose 1st place again to Hristo.

close finish, 0.16 second away from a winner this time,so 2nd place in final results was good but disappointing. Sad

Grats Hristo!

hope next season start soon with official or unofficial races + fun races are welcome too, im in driving on any tracks. Grin

Juha
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2011, 06:20:41 PM +0000 »

Yes, not exactly free-choice, but you can chose what car you want and only use it once  (appreciate there is likely not going to be enough time to fit in enough races to get through all the chassis).  Indeed, it could lead to spec type races as I think several have mentioned over time, including myself.  But with it being a few fun races before the season proper I thought it may provide a chance for everyone to try out a car that they may have not had chance to drive under race conditions so far.

The faster drivers amongst us could, if they so wished, run off with it and chose the fastest, best suited chassis for the track, or they could give themselves a challenge and show us what they are really made of and go for a slower less suited car.  Kind of self-handicapping!

But then again, free choice is what we do at BREASTS (Wednesday night btw, for anyone who hasn't come along yet Wink), so may be better to have something more restrictive.

Could be a good chance to throw in some pit-stops for the newer guys to see what they are about, as they haven't been used for a few seasons, then they could have some informed opinions on that type of handicapping.

Ohhhh the choices lol
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:24:38 PM +0000 by b_1_rd » Logged

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2011, 06:30:36 PM +0000 »

Well I tend to handicap myself willingly in BREASTS races, at least most of the time. It's not fun if you're running on your own and I'm glad Juha was there in this last race to give me a great challenge, as I expected a lonely race in my 2F. Was planning to run something slower, but with it being a points race, I had no choice.  Tongue

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2011, 06:35:29 PM +0000 »

Yes, it's good you do that H, and Clive also tends to run the slower cars, so exactly as you guys do there for some of our other fast boys.

Mind you, some of you could tow a caravan and have full tanks with half the type pressures and still beat us!  laugh

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2011, 06:43:09 PM +0000 »

It really depends on the track. I wouldn't take a slow car on something like Monza, Spa or Le Mans, because no matter how quick you go through corners it's irrelevant. But I think the system you propose could work out quite well. I was thinking maybe it could be enhanced by adding some drivers handicap, with restrictions to which of all cars you're allowed to take depending on how fast you are. E.g., top drivers have a choice between all cars except 2F or something. But again, it mostly depends on the tracks, so IMO we should first have the tracks selected for the official series we plan to run and only then figure out the specifics of the handicap system, if any.

john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2011, 11:47:27 PM +0000 »

Really enjoyed this. Not having any setup experience with these beasts meant running the default, with just a tweak to the left camber and one step up on the gears. It understeered very badly but flew down the straights

they were made that way on propose however now there are defaults with oversteer available (two sets) here
http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=6605

if you don't want to change the defaults there are setups that can be put into and track setup folder .

john  

edited for link
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:30:41 AM +0000 by john roberts » Logged
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2011, 11:49:25 PM +0000 »

That link opens up the forums root page for some reason, JR.

john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2011, 12:31:19 AM +0000 »

That link opens up the forums root page for some reason, JR.

http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=6605

try this H (i don't expect you will like them) .

john
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com