Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 03:39:12 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
Forthcoming
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4455GPP Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: GT Race at Monza 4th March New series  (Read 6273 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:10 AM +0000 »

The first of the new series of GT races is this Friday at 9:00p.m.

Original Papyrus circuit

35 Laps  

Rolling Start.....we will try this again, same rules as last time but some of us need to be a little more careful this time  Grin

There will also be pitstops and the times for each chassis are listed below.

For a full description of the rules etc see  https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9041.0

GT Open
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Porsche 910
No Stop

N/A
Ford GT40 Mk1

Mirage M1

Ford GT40 Mk2B

Lola T70 Mk3

Ford GT40 Mk4

Chaparral MK2D

Ferrari 330 P4

Chaparral Mk2F

First Pit Window is: 28 (to go on your pit board) to 18 (to go on your pit board)
 Second Pit Window is: 26 (to go on your pit board) to 9 (to go on your pit board)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:27:39 AM +0000 by EvilClive » Logged

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:51:12 PM +0000 »

Does anyone know of a fix, to allow the pitboard to be shown properly, inside these cars?  Undecided
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:14:29 PM +0000 »

Not that I know of. I've been hitting F10 on the s/f straights to check the pitboard whenever I need, but it's not very comfortable.

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:31:01 PM +0000 »

I've got to go out on Friday night so I'm not sure if I'll be back in time for this.  Hope so, it should be good. 

It would probably be best if drivers took the same chassis as the last race, that way everyone will have a reasonable setup and we will have a good spread of cars to check the pit stop system.  It would be a pointless exercise if it turned into a Porsche supercup race.  That means I'll be taking the Ford GT40 Mk1 again but I'm happy to swap if someone wants a change.

I did a quick check with the calculator to see what would have happened in the last race if we'd have been using pit stops.  Hristo would have still beaten me but only by 1 minute and 6 seconds.  Not by a full 2 laps!  This raises an interesting question, unless Hristo can get a massive lead before the first pit stop I will have a good chance to pass him in the pits.  So that means when he tries to pass me it will be for position rather than being lapped.  Hence there will be no blue flags and I will be entitled to defend my position.  Futile I know, but I certainly don't intend to let him past easily like I normally do.

This could be interesting.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:34:04 PM +0000 »

I would like to race the Porsche this time. You can call me a wimp, Evil.  Grin

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:54:43 PM +0000 »

In that case....

Clive, I think you have underrated the Porsche and it needs a pit-stop of at least 6 minutes  Grin

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 12:37:27 AM +0000 »

Not around on Friday - which is a shame. Enjoy it.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 02:08:41 AM +0000 »

In that case....

Clive, I think you have underrated the Porsche and it needs a pit-stop of at least 6 minutes  Grin

If I have to move forward each 15 seconds for 6 minutes to avoid being taken off the track, I would probably end up outside the pitlane!  Cheesy

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 12:59:14 PM +0000 »

Yes I think we have severely underestimated the Porsche ( or Hristo, or both!). But we only had the laptimes from a couple of races to work with.

Maybe we should get Hristo to try ALL of the cars and use his best times as the basis for the handicaps???  lol

The intention of the pitstops is  to allow all the cars to cross the finish line together IF all of the drivers are of equal ability. So what it means in practice is that the faster drivers will always win, but that they will have to work throughout the whole race to get there and not squirt away for the first half of the race and cruise home for the last 10-15 laps!!

Fridays race should give us a good idea of how and where the pitstop times need to be tweaked. I doubt that they are perfect as last night Breast race showed, but we have to start somewhere. Roll Eyes

Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 01:24:45 PM +0000 »

I think we have severely underestimated a factor: slipstream!

All the calculations are made based on lap times achieved in practice (right?), without slipstream (I hope!), but depending on the track, slipstream can play a major role during the race.

Yesterday I would have never been able to do a 34 (or low 35s early on) if it wasn't for the slipstream from the cars in front, and this is the case for anyone who races behind another car. With the big gap at which slipstream effect kicks in (such as 2 seconds between the cars at Monza), it severely distorts the effect of the pre-calculated pitstop times.

It's obviously impossible to handicap with slipstream in mind, as there would be drivers who get a lot of it while others would get none or almost none. What's important is to avoid drawing any conclusions from actual race results and only base your calculations on practice runs, preferably done with race fuel and setup, on warmed up tires, and possibly as an average of a (consistent) multiple laps run.

Indeed I could do runs in each car, but it would require at least a couple of hours to make sure I learn the cars and set up them to my liking. Wouldn't be better to simply use the WRs and account for any difference in reliability?

Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 02:31:35 PM +0000 »

Yes I think we have severely underestimated the Porsche ( or Hristo, or both!). But we only had the laptimes from a couple of races to work with.

Fridays race should give us a good idea of how and where the pitstop times need to be tweaked. I doubt that they are perfect as last night Breast race showed, but we have to start somewhere. Roll Eyes

I am with you Clive!

Maybe we could appell to the sportsmanship...

Cheers Axel

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 06:24:49 PM +0000 »

Indeed I could do runs in each car, but it would require at least a couple of hours to make sure I learn the cars and set up them to my liking. Wouldn't be better to simply use the WRs and account for any difference in reliability?
yes that is exactly what we have done.  I adapted my old Div1 handicapping spreadsheet for Clive.  We used the WR times as published on GPL Rank (trouble is they are a lot more immature than the 67 F1 WR times).  The spreadsheet has a "fiddle factor" to account for reliability but I don't think Clive has used that yet.

I've also done some times for 2 sub groups.  A Group P+5.0 that covers all the big cars and a Group P2.0 and S+5.0 that just has the Porsche and GT40 Mk1.  The groups are based on the real 67 Le Mans race see here.

Clive is looking at all the options ATM I'm sure he'll come up with a good system

natan5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 08:27:12 PM +0000 »

Im in with MK1
GLA
Natan
Pedro vd Berg

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:25 PM +0000 »

There will also be pitstops and the times for each chassis are listed below.

Do I get this right?
Are we all have to make at least 1 pitstop? (is it obligated except for Porche?)

And are the displayed times seconds?  so for example - Ford GT40 Mk2B     119     (almost 2 minutes?)

Sorry for asking.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:56 PM +0000 »

Yes Pedro that is correct, the Ford GT 40 Mk2 has a pit stop of 119 seconds.

I can see a whole grid of Porsches preparing for Friday evening. Roll Eyes

The pitstops were calculated using the WR times in GPL Rankbut because Hristo insists on breaking those records everytime he races!!  they might not be correct for every car.  The more races that we have the better the data becomes and we can begin to get the pit stops to be more accurate.

Rank   Only when I sweat
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com