Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 12:07:01 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
Forthcoming
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4455GPP Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: GT Race at Monza 4th March New series  (Read 6272 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 09:58:32 PM +0000 »

There will also be pitstops and the times for each chassis are listed below.

Do I get this right?
Are we all have to make at least 1 pitstop? (is it obligated except for Porche?)

And are the displayed times seconds?  so for example - Ford GT40 Mk2B     119     (almost 2 minutes?)

Sorry for asking.
Yes as Clive says, if you take the Ford GT40 Mk2B you can EITHER do 1 stop of 119 seconds OR 2 stops of 54 seconds each.

These are very long pit stops compared to those that are required for the F1 cars using the same handicapping system.  For example look at these pit stop times from the last F1 race at Monza.  Same race distance but the F1 cars are more evenly matched. 

The slowest F1 car, the Cooper is a bit slower on the straights than the Eagle.  It is most obvious at place like Spa, but the Eagle eases away, it doesn't romp ahead.  Contrast that with the Ford GT40 Mk4 and the Porsche at Le Mans.  The difference in speed on the Mulsanne Straight is incredible.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 01:18:57 AM +0000 »

Evil, I hope you've read my thoughts on the influence of slipstream and the fact that what you think is a new WR is most likely a lap done with the aid of a tow from cars in front.

As for pitstops, IMO we'll get much better and shorter pitstop times if we drop the Porsche. The Porsche is the only reason the pitstop times need to be so ridiculously long, especially on fast tracks like Monza.

john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 03:51:24 AM +0000 »

Evil, I hope you've read my thoughts on the influence of slipstream and the fact that what you think is a new WR is most likely a lap done with the aid of a tow from cars in front.

As for pitstops, IMO we'll get much better and shorter pitstop times if we drop the Porsche. The Porsche is the only reason the pitstop times need to be so ridiculously long, especially on fast tracks like Monza.

if pitstops are so great why drop any cars?

john
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 08:52:01 AM +0000 »

Yes Hristo, I fully appreciate your comments and agree that there is no way to predict how much or how little slipstream a driver will get during a race. And as I have said, regardless of pitstops, the system should mean that the fastest drivers still come out on top.

We are just trying to make them work a little harder for that priviledge!!

Also because the mod is so new, we have not yet got 12+ months of development of setups and practice to bring the WR times to a point where there are only marginal improvements, as is the way with the other mods after many years use.

It is unfortunate the the Porsche is so much slower at Monza, and that makes the difference from top to bottom far wider.

In answer to John's question  " why drop any cars?" .

I think drivers would ignore the Porsche ( and probably the GT40 MK1 as well) at Monza and effectively drop it anyway as it has zero chance of success without some form of handicapping. If the introduction of pitstops gives the Porsche a fighting chance, then surely it is a good thing and gives us  more cars on the grid and some more interesting racing. Instead of 19 Chap 2F's ??

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 09:56:52 AM +0000 »

If the introduction of pitstops gives the Porsche a fighting chance, then surely it is a good thing and gives us  more cars on the grid and some more interesting racing. Instead of 19 Chap 2F's ??

It will give us a grid of 19 Porsches....

My calculation is: 3-4sec per lap x 35 = ~2minutes

No risk of pitstops, very secure driving, high reliability, lowest fuel consumption and no risk of overheating tyres.

No chance for an average driver in an average car to beat!

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 11:21:45 AM +0000 »

I agree with you Cookie, if we keep the same pitstop times, most drivers will go for the Porsche.

But those times will be changed in the future to a more realistic difference as we do more and more races.

Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 11:27:28 AM +0000 »

if pitstops are so great why drop any cars?

john

Are you even following the discussion? It's not that there's any flaw in the pitstop system, it's just that because of the vast difference in speed between the Porsche and the other cars, you need to have extremely long pitstops to give the Porsche any chance to fight for victory. Without it, the pitstop lengths would be similar to what we had with F1 67 cars back in D1.

john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 11:46:04 AM +0000 »

if pitstops even out the cars why are you worried about the length of them ?

from my understanding of what clive says the whole point of the pitstop system is to allow anybody to take any car they wish and have a equal chance of winning it if the drivers are the same skill wise . if you then say lets have pitstops but drop the slowest car then the system must have flaws and patently doesn't work .

john
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 12:37:52 PM +0000 »

I'm not worried, Phil was. I don't have a problem with the pitstop lengths personally, but it would require a couple of little movements to avoid being taken off the track if the pitstop is very long.

Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 01:09:48 PM +0000 »

My point is: I will not drive a Porsche!

I wanna have FUN! Thats what this series stands for.

I did test the Porsche and got 1:35:39 what is about a second slower what Hristo did in BREASTs Quali (maybe with a little tow? Wink )
But as everybody said in the last series, its a torture driving this car 35 laps at Monza!

So I do again appell to everybodys sportmanship to drive the car he deserves!

And dont forget next race : Nurby Cheesy

Axel
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:14:01 PM +0000 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 01:30:01 PM +0000 »

Gotta admit I'm tempted to take the Porsche again simply because I don't fancy my chances in a pit lane with god knows how many other people creeping forward every 15 secs. Even using the Mk1 I would need to creep at least 7 times!!! Okay maybe I might get lucky and be the only one in the pit lane but then again maybe not. Also getting kicked by the game for not creeping enough, has happened more than once offline, would not be funny. Will try and practice some more before making a final decision.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 01:36:23 PM +0000 »

My point is: I will not drive a Porsche!

I wanna have FUN! Thats what this series stands for.

I did test the Porsche and got 1:35:39 what is about a second slower what Hristo did in BREASTs Quali (maybe with a little tow? Wink )
But as everybody said in the last series, its a torture driving this car 35 laps at Monza!

So I do again appell to everybodys sportmanship to drive the car he deserves!

And dont forget next race : Nurby Cheesy

Axel

Yes, it was with a tow, my best without a tow was 34.9 or something, so great time there, Cookie! And as Evil says, when the pitstop times are adjusted and made more realistic, you'll have a chance to compete with any car, but still keep in mind the driver's level is what makes the difference. The pitstops won't give you a chance to win if you're not the fastest driver, at least in theory, but they would allow you to use any car without being handicapped by its lack of pace compared to other cars (or have an advantage if it's a faster car).

G Jonsson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 03:04:57 PM +0000 »

Evil, do you know if Fulvio is setting up the server for tonight? So far it is not in listen, and the way I understand it we can not do it wia RD.

Göran
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 03:28:35 PM +0000 »

I have not heard anything from Fulvio Goran

maybe we can PM him and jog his memory??

Rank   Only when I sweat
happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 03:31:24 PM +0000 »

Looks like I will be missing this one Sad will try to be there but very doubtful.

GPL65Rank = coming soon.....
GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com