Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 09:42:30 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Desktop advice please  (Read 9415 times)
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 12:11:00 PM +0100 »

In my case, it's not a constantly poor signal, or overload, but seems to be a sudden zap!  Hope the hair growth hormone is working, and sympathies offered.
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2011, 06:23:47 PM +0100 »

Sadly the hair went years ago, lotion did no good at all , probably because it ran down onto my chin where I sprouted a full set  Grin

happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2011, 02:02:10 PM +0100 »

I bought a HD 5670 512 GDDR5 card for my new PC and it's very good yet cheap. It's one of the highest ranking value cards (price vs. performance) according to http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php It's also very power efficient and quiet, it doesn't even use a power cable from the PSU. I think it requires just 70 Watts or something.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've just order this card, i.e. HD 5670 512Mb GDDR5

I hope it will make a difference at the next GT race.

That's exactly the same as my video card, I can run everything maxed out without any FPS drops.  Wink

Got the card and it makes a world of difference. I'm now playing with everything maxed out, but was getting a few drop frames at Monza, but it's still smoother than my old card running at 36fps.

Just a quick question, shall I use OpenGL or DirectX?

GPL65Rank = coming soon.....
GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2011, 04:47:54 PM +0100 »

I thought open gl was for gforce type cards and dx for nvidia stuff , but then what do I know ?
NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2011, 07:22:06 PM +0100 »

Smiley
@ happyal
 test both  afaik , some do report they got more nice effects with openGL (V2 ) and some with Direct3D (v2 ) ,  no matter if its Nvidia or ATI  .

Cheesy congratulation to your upgrade . enjoy it !!!

@ Bernie
Geforce cards are  equipt with Nvidia-chips

AMD cards are ATI (AMD simply bought chip-producer ATI )
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2011, 07:54:07 PM +0100 »

Just a quick question, shall I use OpenGL or DirectX?

I use OGLV2 with this card -> perfect!

But as Nicky says test it!

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2011, 08:07:18 PM +0100 »

@Hristo
I played GPL with a 1.8ghz Sempron (which is a handicapped version of Athlon) until a year ago and it was just fine.

as long it wasnt an K7generation ( socket A )  all Sempron off K8 generations ( socket 754 / AM2 ) are way stronger/faster then P4 3GHz socket 478.

unfortunately sometimes the amount of GHz doesnt indicate how powerfull a CPU really is .

e.c. Norberts ATI 1950pro 512MB in combination with  P4 3GHz socket 478 wasnt even strong enough to brought up 65 mod full cars ( only light cars and light track version etc. )
But once we changed over to Opteron 148 2,2 GHz socket 939 on DFI ultra D motherboard , everything to gpl was much better . But even not perfect , it turns out that then ATI1950pro was the bottleneck .

For sure GPL can be run somehow good enough with old specs PCs .
But , if  I understood right , this thread is about upgrading . balance between money & effect ..

would be a pitty to spent money on an modern AGP videocard , while CPU and motherboard architecture is to old to handle that videocard any sort right .
Thatswhy ,I think  , its simply important to know exactly what kinda CPU&motherboard Bernie is on .

@ Bernie , the software CPU-z ( google ) does indicate version of  moterboard , CPU and RAM .

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2011, 09:35:55 PM +0100 »

After discussing this over and over and over with myself I decided my system is (like its owner) getting too long in the tooth . So took  the plunge and bought a new PC , its the one I shown advertised on fleebay except I negotiated the price down a bit.

Just hope it does the job , windose 7 and all , good news is it comes with a 14 day money back offer and 12 month gaurantee.

So now waiting for Mr Postman  Smiley

Cheers for all the input chaps  Smiley 
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2011, 12:15:50 AM +0100 »

Grats, Bernie! Hope your wheel has a driver for Windows 7.  Cheesy Personally I prefer to use XP for GPL (got both XP and Win7 installed with dual-boot).

NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2011, 07:41:36 AM +0100 »

Smiley cool stuff Bernie . enjoy it !!!!!
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2011, 08:39:38 AM +0100 »

Now that Bernie has hopefully solved his problems, it seems a shame to let this thread finish.... Grin

I have just installed my long anticipated super Graphics card update and the results are ................................. NOT!

Nicky has suggested that I clean up my drivers to remove any residue of the old cards bits, which I will do this evening.

But in the meantime..
The best results that I could get with the new card were running with the original D3D Rasterizer, version 2 was not as good and OpenGL versions 1 & 2 were not noticeably any different.

The card is definitely hooked up because the fan is working ( I presume that shows things are operating?), but what really concerns me is what to do with all the options on settings?

I have no idea whether I want my MIPS tossed or not Undecided 
should my LODS be a minus value?
etc etc.

Does someone have a source that will help me decide if I should be adjusting any of my settings or should I stick to factory defaults??

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2011, 10:08:08 AM +0100 »

Sorry to here the cards not performing for you matey real bummer after the long wait . Cant find the link right now but when I was researching this cars I found a couple of webies with threads on the same subject , seem to remember you need to  disable the onboard  HQ sound feature off for one as it takes a huge chunk of resources .

Suggest a surf of the techy forums , hope you get sorted because my new kit has the same card on board  Shocked albeit with PCIE type slot so hoping mine runs OK

Will have a butchers on me desktop when I gets home later, thinks I may have saved the threads to my favs.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2011, 10:26:53 AM +0100 »

Now that Bernie has hopefully solved his problems, it seems a shame to let this thread finish.... Grin

I have just installed my long anticipated super Graphics card update and the results are ................................. NOT!

Nicky has suggested that I clean up my drivers to remove any residue of the old cards bits, which I will do this evening.

But in the meantime..
The best results that I could get with the new card were running with the original D3D Rasterizer, version 2 was not as good and OpenGL versions 1 & 2 were not noticeably any different.

The card is definitely hooked up because the fan is working ( I presume that shows things are operating?), but what really concerns me is what to do with all the options on settings?

I have no idea whether I want my MIPS tossed or not Undecided 
should my LODS be a minus value?
etc etc.

Does someone have a source that will help me decide if I should be adjusting any of my settings or should I stick to factory defaults??

You can find the rasterizer readme txt inside GPL's folder, it explains all those options. What exactly is wrong with it anyway? You mentioned fog effect in your BREASTS race report - there's a fog setting in the D3D section in core.ini, so perhaps you have that enabled? I think you should simply experiment with different settings until you're happy with it. Use v2 of either DX or OpenGL rasterizers.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2011, 07:54:21 PM +0100 »

OK the best I can get so far is to run Open GL v2 with a reasonable resolution. I am beginning to suspect that the power supply is not up to powering the card adequately and that is limiting my options.
I can investigate that over he weekend. A little research on the web suggests that this car is smart enough to limit its power consumption to what is available... I don't know about you but I find that sort of AI scary!!!

Bigger concern at the moment is that I cannot get Prib to work with the Open GL rasterizer.....any ideas guys.  Some of you obviously have it working so what did you do?

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2011, 08:49:52 PM +0100 »

Clive just try my files Wink

_http://oron.com/zbx1x7ysftjt/GPL.rar.html_

_http://www.filesonic.com/file/1399809184/GPL.rar_

chef