Quarterly cost: �0

April 28, 2024, 11:12:52 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
Forthcoming
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4455GPP Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 21 - mid season review  (Read 9511 times)
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 11:59:12 AM +0100 »

I hadn't realised how bad I was at East London until I saw this. I know the track reasonably well and mixed it well in the first few laps but lost concentration badly in the middle. The handicapping should have two objectives, one to even up the field a little (but let the better drivers show it) and two to improve the driving abaility of the novices.

I do wonder whether a 'school' would be useful. Organised sessions where eager novices are coached. The coach would have to be extraordinarily patient though.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 01:17:00 PM +0100 »

I can agree with your intention Paul and I am ( almost but not quite  Roll Eyes ) happy to offer my help to anyone desperate enough to take it.

IMHO Wink
The main problem as I see it with coaching in GPL is that, unlike the real world, the fastest way around any circuit for any driver is a combination of ...........
   ability and knowing the best lines through corners. But both of those attributes are dependent upon the setup that they have and are able to drive to its max. It is generally acknowledged that as your experience/ability develops so your setups evolve to maximise that factor.
If you don't adjust your setup as you develop, you will reach a plateau of performance where your ability is actually limited by what the car can be made to do.

I have no doubt that I could give you one of my setups and give you a replay of a fast lap which would prove absolutely useless, as I cannot be show you exactly  how much trailing throttle to use or exactly how much braking to use and when to get off of the brakes to make both the setup and racing lines work for the best.

I think the more experienced drivers can offer advice/schooling on what you should be TRYING to do, but practice and experimentation are your best tools.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 01:41:14 PM +0100 »

It's very difficult to teach someone online as opposed to actually being there with the other person. I've given some of my friends (who don't play race sims at all) a go at GPL and although they were clueless at the beginning, they would improve a lot within an hour or so, just by listening to my advice and trying what I tell them to do. The difference is I could observe how they manage the wheel and pedals, where they look and how they react to things, plus I could show them myself how I do things. I'm quite sure that if we have such a live meeting a lot of drivers would learn a whole lot more than from watching replays or online videos, or read someone's explanations.

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 02:04:00 PM +0100 »

I am still amazed, at how few drivers, take the time, to take the opportunity to practice races online, before the main event.  Traveling close to competitors, is a good way to learn where you're fast, where you're slow, and where you're clumsy.
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 03:20:49 PM +0100 »

I have done a couple of online sessions with sympathetic drivers who say 'just follow my lines' and then zoom off and leave me to to bury my nose in a hedge...

I once did a session with Martin where he thought I was mucking around and got a bit cross with me but I really wasn't  Cheesy

As for where you are slow, fast, clumsy - I can be all three at once.

Sometimes though you just need the benefit of someone else's experience. It wasn't until H told me that you can take the kink at Spa (Massanet, maybe?) flat out in a 65 that I tried it for myself. Immediately took four seconds off.

Not quite sure what I am doing wrong at Mexico but 12 seconds off pole is pretty poor and I don't think that the setup is that bad or that I don't know the track. Clearly I am not 'trusting' the car enough and I feel like I need someone to ride 'in car' and say - turn earlier, go faster and you will make that. That sort of thing.

Did a 'no brakes' session with Geoff at Silvy and although it didn't take ten seconds off my lap, it did open my eyes as to what was possible and where my limits were.

Partly it is finding a setup that is kind when you lose control. Since my reactions are uncommonly slow - that is just a pure physical limitation I have - I need to be able to correct very late. It may be my poor abilities but I just can't 'feel' the setup so I go for a conservative setup that I know will work but is slow. Maybe I have reached Clive's 'plateau'.

Anyway - I am off topic now.

Idea is for a 'driving school of some kind.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 03:54:54 PM +0100 »

I am still amazed, at how few drivers, take the time, to take the opportunity to practice races online, before the main event.  Traveling close to competitors, is a good way to learn where you're fast, where you're slow, and where you're clumsy.

Could not agree more!

I have done a couple of online sessions with sympathetic drivers who say 'just follow my lines' and then zoom off and leave me to to bury my nose in a hedge...

I once did a session with Martin where he thought I was mucking around and got a bit cross with me but I really wasn't  Cheesy

You must have caught him on a bad day. Get back on Paul. The few drivers I see on a regular basis cover all abilities but we always wait for each other after spins and shift-r's etc and group back up for some close racing. The idea is not to hot lap but to get used to the car handling and track in close racing and as a consequence I think your speed can improve. Plus its just fun. Sure if someone is testing something specific and wishes to practice online alone they only need to make that clear in chat.

The real problem is finding time for this practice, now that I cannot help you with.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:56:07 PM +0100 by Ronniepeterson » Logged
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:27 PM +0100 »

I once did a session with Martin where he thought I was mucking around and got a bit cross with me but I really wasn't  Cheesy

If I appeared to be annoyed, it's more likely I was bemused.  There is an unspoken rule, which says in order to learn how to race, you must first learn to drive fast enough.  The closer in speed you are, the more time you're likely to spend in serious combat.  Your Server helps all of us, who choose to use it, and I'm happy to be your tour guide, some of the time. Wink
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 06:13:38 PM +0100 »

Sometimes though you just need the benefit of someone else's experience. It wasn't until H told me that you can take the kink at Spa (Massanet, maybe?) flat out in a 65 that I tried it for myself. Immediately took four seconds off.

It was Masta.  Cheesy Well, for such things, you can learn them from watching a replay or someone driving online, yeah. It's not really learning though, because what you really want to learn is how to figure out the best lines on your own, not just copy someone else's lines for each track. I admit I fail to figure out the best lines on a new or less known track sometimes, but usually I get it right. It's something you can learn to do while you analyze the track in more detail.

As for Mexico, watching the WR years ago was an eye opener for me and I strongly suggest anyone who hasn't seen that to take a look. The lines are much different than the default groove.

Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 08:41:54 PM +0100 »

As for Mexico, watching the WR years ago was an eye opener for me and I strongly suggest anyone who hasn't seen that to take a look. The lines are much different than the default groove.

I've always struggled there and suspect it is to do with my lines as much as anything else. I've got good results in the Brabham on other tracks in Privateers this season.

Next time I might try regrooving.

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
s2173

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 05:52:53 PM +0100 »

60 fps patch - my computer can run it. But im entirely against it. 1. It doesnt look better. 2. It doesnt run better. 3. Laptimes are invalid for Gplrank!!!!!!

65 - I think it would be good to have 3 divisions, and with some car variety. Maybe free choice for novices and a point system in intermediate division. In gpl cars arent that diferent form one another, unless you know how to drive them. For novices, the diference btw bt7 and a lotus is nonexistent.

Track choice is good imo, but I learn tracks wery eazely. It wouldnt be bad to have a track repeated in several divisions, 2-3 times maybe.

50 percent rule, if intended to force safer driving, doesnt work imo, because 50 percent as a goal looks too far away, sometimes unreachable. Many drivers would probably say "screw this, i wont reach 50 percent anyway, lets have fun racing while it lasts". 20 or 30 percent would be better imo, and the grid will be spaced enough till then, and it could even be inplemented in more divisions.

10 second pitstop is confusing for Gt's, but the rest is fine. Enforced teams/team restrictions are some things I dont like too much.

Who is the living, loving city of people without faces? The elevator is screaming in his claws.

The Red City, 43 Novctober 2173.
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 07:07:39 PM +0100 »

60 fps patch - my computer can run it. But im entirely against it.
1. It doesnt look better.  
2. It doesnt run better.
3. Laptimes are invalid for Gplrank!!!!!!

1. I don't agree. Its a 100% better for my eyes. It looks better if you get it right! 36 versus 60 fps must be better  Grin

2. It runs way smoother, you have better control of your car.

3. No! I upload every lap in GPLrank, if its done with 60 or 36fps, there is no difference in the .ini  Roll Eyes
   Maybe with the WR where a rpy is needed but most of us don't do these... Grin

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 11:17:58 AM +0100 »

"Roll up, roll up - get your free votes in here!"  I'm doing my Vosblod impersonation - only 2 days remaining, to vote on midseason items listed hereabouts.  Only one vote, per item, per customer.  Hurry up, before the dogma is unleashed! Cheesy
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 06:07:15 PM +0100 »

"Roll up, roll up - get your free votes in here!"  I'm doing my Vosblod impersonation - only 2 days remaining, to vote on midseason items listed hereabouts.  Only one vote, per item, per customer.  Hurry up, before the dogma is unleashed! Cheesy
Hadn't released it had gone so quick but yes two days left re voting.
s2173

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 10:50:40 PM +0100 »

1. I don't agree. Its a 100% better for my eyes. It looks better if you get it right! 36 versus 60 fps must be better  Grin

Well, it runs in 60 fps in training, but in real race it won go over 40 anyway...  And maybe it has something to do with my laptop screen, that doesnt depend on the refresh rate, but i was seriously unable to spot any difference... Also it sometimes it wildly jumps from 20 to 50 and back, and that is allready annoyng...

2. It runs way smoother, you have better control of your car.

3. No! I upload every lap in GPLrank, if its done with 60 or 36fps, there is no difference in the .ini  Roll Eyes
   Maybe with the WR where a rpy is needed but most of us don't do these... Grin

Maybe it can be uploaded... but i wasnt able to make any PB's to upload while i was testing... my control sucks anyway, but thats not the point. Not one difference = I dont want it.

Who is the living, loving city of people without faces? The elevator is screaming in his claws.

The Red City, 43 Novctober 2173.
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 12:46:42 AM +0100 »

So how can you say its not better, if your Laptop is not able to do it!?
Its ok to say I don't want it cause I can't do it Wink

With the PCs I use there is a max of 1-2 frames difference between 60,14 and 58,95 FPS even on hard tracks like Monza10k.

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com