Quarterly cost: �0

April 29, 2024, 12:05:58 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
Forthcoming
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S16Dc Kyalami: December 07, 2008
December 07, 2008, 09:06:44 PM +0000 - Kyalami (1961-67) - UKGPL Season 16 (2008) Clubmans '67
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
b_1_rd
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 4 +0.467
110.654mph
1 33:53.063
108.121mph
24 1:22.859
110.538mph
Goodyear  
Burtoner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 8 +1.567
109.203mph
3 +9.700
107.608mph
24 1:22.623
110.854mph
Firestone  
Geoff65

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 5 +0.750
110.277mph
4 +13.522
107.407mph
24 1:23.117
110.195mph
Goodyear  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 2 +0.179
111.041mph
5 (+3) +16.177
107.268mph
24 1:22.464
111.067mph
Firestone  
Michael Turner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 7 +1.155
109.742mph
6 +38.728
106.100mph
24 1:22.957
110.407mph
Goodyear  
Ian Stanley
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 3 +0.293
110.887mph
7 +47.039
105.676mph
24 1:22.514
111.000mph
Goodyear  
Craig Thomas

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 6 +1.001
109.945mph
8 +1L
102.679mph
23 1:23.394
109.829mph
Goodyear  
James Andrew

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 9 +2.294
108.264mph
9 +2L
98.274mph
22 1:25.142
107.574mph
Goodyear  
Turkey Machine

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 11 10 +19L
108.784mph
5 1:21.280
112.685mph
Disco
Goodyear  
RIKBRIANT
  Team Backwards Racing
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 1 1:22.305
111.282mph
11 DNS ---
---
Firestone  
5 UKGPL

Honda RA300 F1 1967 10 12 ---
---
Firestone  
Asbjeurn Tverberg

Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 12 Excluded +0L
108.070mph
24 1:21.823
111.938mph
Firestone  

Moderator's Report

Summary

A fine win for Steve Bird with Burt picking up second place on the podium after an incident packed race. Asbjeurn's disqualification also promotes Geoff Heard onto the podium for the first time in the Clubman's division. Well done!

Server replay time: 0h00m48s

Lap 1 - Start Line - Craig Thomas, Michael Tuner and Robert Burton

Michael gets a better start than Craig but as he shifts into second gear a little too much throttle induces some wheel spin. Michael veers across the track taking out Craig. Robert cannot avoid the carnage. Craig and Robert are entitled to no-fault shift Rs.

Clearly this incident was caused by Michael's over exuberance on the throttle with cold tyres. In general, lack of skill is not penalised in UKGPL, only lack of judgement. However start line incidents can have such a catastrophic affect on everyone's race, some degree of admonishment is appropriate in this case.

Advice: The power side ramp angle settings in the differential have a significant affect on the stability of the car under heavy acceleration. Before a race, experiment with the power side settings to ensure you have a stable car under heavy acceleration on cold tyres. If you do decide to compromise your settings to optimise your overall lap times, please ensure you know how much throttle to use at the start to ensure you do NOT snake off the line and risk collecting other cars.

Server replay time: 0h04m26s

Lap3 - Jukskei Sweep - James Andrew and Robert Burton

Robert is putting James under tremendous pressure but his Cooper doesn't have the legs to get past James' Brabham on the straight. In his efforts to keep Burt at bay, James runs wide in Barbeque Bend. He looses momentum and Burt manages to get along side on the approach to the Jukskei Sweep. James is in no mood to yield easily and fights for the corner. The cars enter the corner side by side and warp contact is made punting Burt off.

The car on the outside is always going to be at risk of warp in this situation. Both cars were entitle to fight for the position.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h07m54s

Lap 6 - Main Straight - Asbjeurn Tverberg and Bernie Darwin

Asbjeurn gets a run on Bernie and pulls out of his slipstream to pass. Unfortunately he gets a little too close and warp contact is made causing Bernie to spin out and Asbjeurn to veer off and through the pit wall unscathed.

Although the actual contact was warp assisted, Asbjeurn was far too close when he pulled out to overtake. Drivers must take account of possible warp contact in situations like this. However, of more significance is the absence of the pit wall on Asbjeurn's client. The rules are quite clear on this and although the presence of the pit wall cannot be checked for directly, cars driving unscathed through the pit wall can only mean one thing. Asbjeurn had genuinely forgotten to re-install the pit wall but he was aware of the consequences if he drove through it. No unfair advantage was intended, nevertheless honourable intentions are not a good enough reason the relax the rules and a disqualification must be enforced.

Server replay time: 0h08m08s

Lap 6 - Main Straight - Bernie Darwin and Ian Stanley

After his shunt with Asbjeurn, Bernie ends up on the grass verge facing the wrong way. He attempts a rejoin but ends up practically stationary on the racing line on the fastest part of the track. Unfortunately Ian is approaching on full chat and catastrophic contact is made.

Bernie should have made absolutely sure there were no cars approaching before he attempted a rejoin by driving onto the racing line. If this was not possible (i.e. no Pribluda to rely on) then he should have used the F10 chase view to help manoeuvre the car through a 3 point turn on the grass. There is a very large verge here.

Server replay time: 0h10m05s

Lap 7 - Crowthorne Corner - James Andrew and Michael Turner

James appears to outbrake himself rear-ending Michael. However on closer inspection Michael is travelling much slower than could reasonably be expected. His corner entry speed is 71mph compared with the 107mph achieved by the leading drivers (and James on one or two of his better laps). On this lap, James' entry speed was well within his ability to control.

No appreciable blame can be apportioned to either driver in this case.

• Racing incident

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 16 (2008) Clubmans \'67 - Kyalami - Dec 7  (Read 8797 times)
Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

Aussie Paul Hawkins. Sitting in Porsche 910

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 12:52:54 AM +0000 »

Well, where do I start. First off, congratulations Steve on an excellent chase and a deserved win...Smiley I set the car up for consistency rather than outright speed, thinking that Rik was probably gonna run away with it anyway..Cooper or not. Hoping to pick up the crumbs of others misfortunes. Kyalami has never really been a fave track....still it's not. Can never seem to brake late enough into T1 to turn a decent lap.....Either lock up or the car refuses to turn and just scrubbs up the rise to the kerb and...good night nurse. Anyway, held P2 in qually for a while with a fair time as I'd struggled in prac to find a setup that would help me get under the 24's. But just couldn't crack into the 22's with a 1:23.05 I think being my qually time.

Got a reasonable start in the race and settled down for a couple of laps til I got some heat in the tyres. The Brab is crap on cold rubber and won't accept being pushed til it's good and ready. Jetro (no spelling mistake) and Asbjeurn whistled past on lap 2, with me not being able to do much at all about it. Sat around 4th or something until I could start pedalling it along a bit quicker, until I came on the aftermath of Asbjeurn and Bernie's stunt exhibition on the pit straight. Narrowly missing Asbejeurn as he sat immobile mid track. Hmm, prib said P2.....jaw hit steering wheel. Lap 5 I think and Jetro had his systems failure and bugged out. I wondered where Rik had got to......he wasn't showing up on Prib at all. So, with an inherited P1 I set about trying to hang on to it. Then ensued a ripping pitboard duel with Steve....trying to manage the gap as my Brab had the legs in a couple of salient points round the track....all I needed to do was keep it clean and tidy. Catching is one thing, passing another. Then 3 yellow flags all at the esses at various times. I had to slow each time as the esses is blind til you're in it.....from experience a nasty place to come apon a car blocking the roadway. The last one was on lap 22, when the yellow came out just as I was turning into the l/hander of the esses, it caught my eye and kept me from getting on the throttle, expecting to find another impediment to progress. All I ended up with was the car going arse over apex in a perfect 180deg spin facing the correct way......but letting Steve thru. I got going again with Asbjeurn on my tail up onto the front straight. I tried to restrict him for space into T1 and only succeeded in outbraking myself and ending up on the grass.....short of the fence luckily, a tactical error to be sure. Burt slipped thru into P3 and so, I managed to drag it home with not much left in the front tyres in P4. Bugger.   censored censored censored censored censored
Grats to the podium....you guys did a better job. Thanx to Shark for driving off the track to let me by.
Looks like I better keep trying. Undecided
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:00:00 AM +0000 by Geoff65 » Logged

www.clark-hillracing.com

"Racing is life.....anything that happens before or after, is just waiting"
Steve McQueen from "Le Mans"

GPL Rank +15.145 29/3/2012
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 01:38:34 AM +0000 »

Well, where do I start. First off, congratulations Steve on an excellent chase and a deserved win...Smiley I set the car up for consistency rather than outright speed, thinking that Rik was probably gonna run away with it anyway..Cooper or not. Hoping to pick up the crumbs of others misfortunes. Kyalami has never really been a fave track....still it's not. Can never seem to brake late enough into T1 to turn a decent lap.....Either lock up or the car refuses to turn and just scrubbs up the rise to the kerb and...good night nurse. Anyway, held P2 in qually for a while with a fair time as I'd struggled in prac to find a setup that would help me get under the 24's. But just couldn't crack into the 22's with a 1:23.05 I think being my qually time.

Got a reasonable start in the race and settled down for a couple of laps til I got some heat in the tyres. The Brab is crap on cold rubber and won't accept being pushed til it's good and ready. Jetro (no spelling mistake) and Asbjeurn whistled past on lap 2, with me not being able to do much at all about it. Sat around 4th or something until I could start pedalling it along a bit quicker, until I came on the aftermath of Asbjeurn and Bernie's stunt exhibition on the pit straight. Narrowly missing Asbejeurn as he sat immobile mid track. Hmm, prib said P2.....jaw hit steering wheel. Lap 5 I think and Jetro had his systems failure and bugged out. I wondered where Rik had got to......he wasn't showing up on Prib at all. So, with an inherited P1 I set about trying to hang on to it. Then ensued a ripping pitboard duel with Steve....trying to manage the gap as my Brab had the legs in a couple of salient points round the track....all I needed to do was keep it clean and tidy. Catching is one thing, passing another. Then 3 yellow flags all at the esses at various times. I had to slow each time as the esses is blind til you're in it.....from experience a nasty place to come apon a car blocking the roadway. The last one was on lap 22, when the yellow came out just as I was turning into the l/hander of the esses, it caught my eye and kept me from getting on the throttle, expecting to find another impediment to progress. All I ended up with was the car going arse over apex in a perfect 180deg spin facing the correct way......but letting Steve thru. I got going again with Asbjeurn on my tail up onto the front straight. I tried to restrict him for space into T1 and only succeeded in outbraking myself and ending up on the grass.....short of the fence luckily, a tactical error to be sure. Burt slipped thru into P3 and so, I managed to drag it home with not much left in the front tyres in P4. Bugger.   censored censored censored censored censored
Grats to the podium....you guys did a better job. Thanx to Shark for driving off the track to let me by.
Looks like I better keep trying. Undecided

That's Jethro by the way. Wink I'd appreciate the edit so other's don't make the same mistake. It sounds like a good race; I'll check out the replay later on.

I get the feeling I'm a bit quick for this league. This is absolutely no offense to anybody else out there but barring any screwups on my driving, I'd probably have won that at a canter as I was at least a second faster than the next guy. I tried to make it onto the server with enough time to get a lap in, and I'm sure it'd have been a quickie cos I'd been knocking em out in pre-race practice, but I wasn't quick enough connecting! Congrats to Steve and the other finishers, and Rik on pole. 1:22 in the Cooper is definitely not to be sniffed at, but there's a second or more to be found there. Wink

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Asbjeurn Tverberg

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 11:25:10 AM +0000 »

One other thing: I forgot to rebuild the pitwall before the race. I tried to stay clear of the pits as much as possible, but I'm not 100% sure that I avoided the pit wall during my passes. I may have touched the end of it, so the moderator should check that out.

"Gentlemen, start your computers!"
Burtoner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 11:37:29 AM +0000 »

I did noticed that looking at replay this morning before i was going to post, i knew Asbjeurn didnt have pitwall installed after he overtook me and bernie, so perhaps he might get DQ for it, but also the incident up front, could cost him that 2nd place, that I might claim.

My race was bad from start, im getting so fed up amount of startline incidents which arent my fault, again i was last off the line, my race was great though, I came through the field like Schumacher did in his last race at brazil, down in 11th place. Then some incident ahead at turn 1, which i managed to avoid that got me up in the top 3, but then i had the ferrari of Asbjeurn whoever this guy is, overtake me down at turn 1 in the faster car after holding him off for 2-3 laps, with only 4-5 laps to go. I then somehow gifted 3rd place after the leader had a bad last few laps.

So hoping I claim 2nd after the modding is done. Which is nice to a track i won 2 seasons ago at.

UKGPL Season 14 Club Champion
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 12:14:15 PM +0000 »

Just watched the replay ,  appologies to Ian S for my poor re join , I tried to spin turn on my own side of the track but lost the RPM's and all didnt go to plan.

Can't say i'm pleased about the incident that led up to it though and I think a few of the "newby's " need to remember they are driving in 67 mod cars and not the free for all banzi 65's mod .

Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 12:48:57 PM +0000 »

Just watched the replay ,  appologies to Ian S for my poor re join , I tried to spin turn on my own side of the track but lost the RPM's and all didnt go to plan.

Can't say i'm pleased about the incident that led up to it though and I think a few of the "newby's " need to remember they are driving in 67 mod cars and not the free for all banzi 65's mod .

Agreed, some of the driving especially on lap 1 was a bit below-par, shall we say. Kudos to the front runners though, you were exemplary, having seen the replay.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Michael Turner

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 02:23:16 PM +0000 »

A race marred by some technical problems - no racelist in IGOR, PRBLUDA graphics scrambled (only seems to happen online), and a temporary Black Screen on L15 for the second week running ( I think it's caused by Windows Firewall not recognising a different server). Fortunately no other cars were near me at the time.

Got off to a poor start, unexpectedly veering to the left under acceleration after changing up to 2nd. I managed to catch it but not before hitting CT. So apologies to CT and anybody else caught up in the ensuing mayhem. I later lost 4 places after spinning off on L4 and waiting for the traffic to pass before rejoining so a 6th place was reasonable in the circumstances.
Craig Thomas

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 02:35:36 PM +0000 »

NP Michael...it was a tough start for me and had 2 "stop n gos" for shift-Rs( the wreck at the start and a blown engine), I was just running laps. I hope I didn't hold up any of the front runners as they lapped me late in the race.
Once again, I enjoyed it and look forward to the next Clubman's at Brands.
RIKBRIANT

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 06:34:54 PM +0000 »

Can someone please point me in the direction of the version of brands hatch that we will be using for the next race...?
RIK

Ferrari's are for people who aren't brave enough to drive a DUTTON
Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

Aussie Paul Hawkins. Sitting in Porsche 910

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 07:36:07 PM +0000 »

This is the one Rik

http://dixierunners.speedgeezers.net/brands1967/

www.clark-hillracing.com

"Racing is life.....anything that happens before or after, is just waiting"
Steve McQueen from "Le Mans"

GPL Rank +15.145 29/3/2012
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 08:55:53 PM +0000 »

Thanks to Mike for hosting this race, as Phil was racing in the earlier race against GBGPL.  Mike tried to urge the newer drivers to join and qualify, but they seem to have misunderstood the rules. The server is started with 35 mins left to allow regular drivers to join, then with 30 mins left the reserves can join, there's no need to wait any further.

However, if you fail to set a time appropriate to your race pace, other drivers might be unhappy that there are faster drivers behind them on the grid.  This seems to be the explanation for Burt and Bernie's comments, which might seem ungracious, especially from D1 drivers?  New drivers are very welcome to join Clubmans, where, if it's necessary, they will always be allowed the time to adapt their racing style!
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 09:41:12 PM +0000 »

Re D1 drivers and ungratious comments :

Sorry but I dont consider my comments to be ungratious, the point I was trying to make is that the 65 mod,  which these guys supposedley cut there teeth in , allows some very close racing compaired to the 67 mod which,  due to its warp contact ingredient,  doesn't allow such close racing without the risk of calamitous results and therefore requires a more carefull approach when it comes to overtaking .

IMO of coarse  Roll Eyes

BTW . a D1 driver in the loosest sense yes,  but very much bottom of the league , I entered the D1 series more to make the numbers up than anything else  Smiley

Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 10:08:35 PM +0000 »

Thanks to Mike for hosting this race, as Phil was racing in the earlier race against GBGPL.  Mike tried to urge the newer drivers to join and qualify, but they seem to have misunderstood the rules. The server is started with 35 mins left to allow regular drivers to join, then with 30 mins left the reserves can join, there's no need to wait any further.

However, if you fail to set a time appropriate to your race pace, other drivers might be unhappy that there are faster drivers behind them on the grid.  This seems to be the explanation for Burt and Bernie's comments, which might seem ungracious, especially from D1 drivers?  New drivers are very welcome to join Clubmans, where, if it's necessary, they will always be allowed the time to adapt their racing style!
I misunderstood that one, but thank you for clearing it up. Smiley

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 11:54:07 PM +0000 »

Results imported gents (thanks again to Mike for the use of his server angel).

Looks like I might have a bit of modding to do on this one.  Please submit your incident reports using the link below the results and PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO ENTER THE REPLAY TIME it makes my life a whole lot easier Wink

Ian Stanley

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 10:19:23 AM +0000 »

Bernie....wasn't sure who I'd harpooned on the S/F...and still not checked the replay to see if I could have avoided. Don't remember seeing a yellow - hoping thats the case, in which case c'est la vie. If there was a yellow up and I've ignored it....getting the phone book ready to stuff down me trousers, that cane can sting
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com